Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...this is for all of the hardcore rain riding folks. I'm not talking about the I got stuck in the rain today riders, but rather the it's raining when you leave and raining when you get home types. ;)

What are your trick for being able to see out of your visor? Wax...anything special. ???

I have great rain gear, and use a foggy to eliminate the shield fogging up. My gloves also have a rubber strip for wiping rain off, but it's still like driving the car without the windshield wipers on unless I wipe every 10 seconds. Rain-X doesn't seem to do anything useful on the plastic shields.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
ride at 80 mph and turn your head off the the side periodically. The water will blow off.

Seriously.

Other than that, you just look through the water. Where it gets nasty is when you're taking a lot of dirty road spray. You can get the water blown off, but a lot of grime eventually collects.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
JJGeo said:
What are your trick for being able to see out of your visor? Wax...anything special. ???
When it's raining, I don't close my eyes when riding like I normally do. And I tend to use the Force more. [cheeky]

Seriously, I'm like Don. I don't do anything special, and IIRC, you and I have pretty much the same rain gear, JJGeo. The only thing I can think of is that I regularly Plexus my visor, but I have no idea if that helps in the rain or not.

I do a lot of using the glove wiper when I start riding in the rain, but it doesn't help for more than a second or two, so after riding for a bit, I just stop using it.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...that's kind of what I figured. But, you never know so I asked.

Spidey...ya we're both rockin' the high-viz yellow 'stitch. I still haven't ponied up for the Darien pants, but it's just a matter of time! I was actually passed by someone also sportin' the high viz yesterday. First one I'd ever seen, other than mine. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
There's some rain gloves that have a little wiper blade on the thumb. Handy for clearing off accumulated dirt and oil for road spray. There are also slip on thumb wiper widgets that can be used w/ any glove.

All of the above can be found on aerostitch.com Along with the hi-viz suits those fellas above mention

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Ok, so I am not a everyday rain rider, but learned quickly that the glove wipe made it worse for me, while going down the road I do the turn the head to the left and right for a couple seconds each and the wind will blow off the water. You will have to do this often as it accumulates, but it helps. It was so bad one day that I was about to pull over from a group ride that got caught int he rain, then turned my head to look for a car and WOW I can see again.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i'm also among the ride quick, and turn your head a lot crowd.

sidenote: leather gloves don't wipe away water particuarly well.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
One other trick I learned from a local rain rider: use Rain-X Fog (not the regular Rain-X) on the inside of your shield each ride. Less of an issue if you already have a Foggy (great product IMO), but still useful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
...for bonus points and a thread-jack: what do you do about salty fog coming off of the ocean? that stuff is a complete pain to get off.. at least with the helmet on :D

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
CRASH! said:
ride at 80 mph and turn your head off the the side periodically. The water will blow off.

Seriously.

Other than that, you just look through the water. Where it gets nasty is when you're taking a lot of dirty road spray. You can get the water blown off, but a lot of grime eventually collects.
That is also a technique I use in winter, also Held do some very nice winter gloves with a rubber "visor cleaner" rubber strip that is on the index finger - perfect for keeping that visor free of raindrops and road grime.

Also, try washing the visor regularly (before/after each wet ride) with non mineral based, neutral soap and water.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
About a month ago I stopped in at the local Aprilia/Moto Guzzi dealer to look at the "other" Italian bikes. After drooling on a few, I finally wandered over into the gear section to look at gloves, jackets, and helmets.

As I was looking at their Held gloves, I noticed that the index finger on the left hand has a little rubber squeegee built in for wiping off the visor. I was thinking that it would be a nice feature on my gloves. So as I was finally leaving, I took a close look at my own Held gloves and discovered that they also have the little rubber squeegee built in. I've been using those gloves for three years and just discovered it. Apparently all Held gloves have had that feature.

Check out your gloves and you might just have the solution right at your (left) finger tip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.