Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
either i recall you asking about this before or else someone else did.

I refrained from offering a WAG on that one. Still can't think of anything. If it was a car starter, I'd be all set. But I haven't digested this Sprag clutch thing yet. I've not yet been provided with the motivation to learn!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
have you checked the starter switch assembly? i had a similar problem on my 900ss with the new assembly. took it apart and found where a lump of solder was shorting the connection. scrapped the blob off and hasn't been any trouble since.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
On the '02 S4, when you push the starter button, it connects a wire coming out of the ECU to ground. In effect, you are asking the ECU to activate the starter. The ECU then grounds the output wire from the coil on the starter relay. The input wire on that coil is supplied with 12 volts, controlled by the key switch.

Either your switch is sticking, shorting like MarkV suggested, or the ECU is getting confused.

My S4 has done that several times, same way as yours. It cranks but doesn't start, and the key switch shuts it off. Hasn't happened for a long time...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am more and more impressed with this message board every day. It seems there is nothing you guys don't know...or maybe I know so little I buy all your B.S. ;D ;D ;D Either way, Thanks for the input.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Update:

Bike still in shop...waiting on part. Life sux and it hasn't rained a single day.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i had a problem with the hose right off the pump . i replaced it with the aluminium tube from the foggy .

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice. Where did you get it?

Did you need any special clamps/connectors?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i had got the pipe from ducati i think it was about 85$. you will need to get also the cupplings for each side from ducati but use stainless steel worm clamps to install it . you would need four off them . seems to work good

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
HORRAY! HORRAY! Got the bike back from the shop.

New hose was covered under warrenty.

While in the shop the tech "decided" to change my clutch and brake fluid with out consulting me. This was ok because it needed to be done. $4 for fluid and $34 for labor.

I also had them replace the rear Dunlop 208 with a new one. I was supposed to get a discount on labor since the bike was already on the rear stand. $130 for tire and $34 Labor.

$4 fluid
$68 Labor
$130 Tire
----------
$202
9% tax
========
$220

This is the interesting part. The total was $240. It started out at nearly $300. Maybe I can't do math. The funny thing is I asked the tech 3 times why the price was so high, He kept coming down on the price until he stopped at $240, but couldn't explain the extra $20. What a Bargain. I guess it was a service charge on the service. At least I got the bike back.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts