Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having alot of trouble with the radiator hoses on my S4 bulging out and becoming distorted, even slipping loose. I was wondering if anybody else had this problem, and if there was anywhere to order steel braided hoses?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be looking for the cause.........excessive heat, cracked head, blown head gasket, etc. The stock hoses are more than adequate for a healthy bike and they are not nearly old enough to warrant replacement. Good luck.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Trip, I sure hope it is nothing serious. It is only one hose that swells and it didn't start until it came loose. I replaced the clamp and haven't had any trouble out of it since, but the hose still bulges.

Silverbug, those are some nice hoses, I was really looking for steel braided hoses, but if they are $150 a set I think I'll have to purchase them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
those red hoses would look sweet with the red wheels on a senna. wouldn't it be cool to replace all the hoses on an S4 with braided steel lines?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silver, That is what i am talkin about. I think the steel braided hoses would look tight. But I haven't had any luck finding any. Maybe I am just sh*t-outta-luck.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you can get them from an auto detailer. they are pricey though. they may need to special order the fittings. i think it's over a grand in total.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:eek: A grand...are they made of gold. Suddenly those red silicone ones look amazing...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it's the fittings and custom sizes that will kill ya. i thought about getting hose covers and routing them in groups under 1 thick cover but then thought that would be too squidly.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
If a hose is bulging, the braid reinforcement is compromised.

Very likely it's going to fail. Don't know how slippery that OEM blue coolant is, but if it's like normal antifreeze, it's really slippery.....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the radiator hose is already (3k miles) I bet it would be under warrenty. I don't know how much luck I will have, but I will let ya'll know.
If its not under warrenty, guess i will go with the silicone.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
There is a company called Earls that makes ss hoses for ducati.
i'm researching it right now.It looks like it might cost around $100-200 to do all the plumbing.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
all the hoses? even the S4 hoses? please post contact info. there are alot of hoses in the 4V lump.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think it's kinda like the oil cooler but bigger. ::)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
"What's a radaitor?" That was my reaction to the topic too.

Buy anyway, I agree that bulging is a sign of bad things. I have an air cooled Monster so no FHE on radiator hoses on Ducatis, but.... I had two Alfa Romeo GTV6s which are known to have head gasket problems. I think five total for me over 19 years of ownership.

When I got oil in my water, the hoses bulged. The rubber does not hold up to oil. I would strongly recommend checking your coolant for oil. This smells like a head gasket problem to me.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bike is now in shop, service said it should be covered under warrenty.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
How about sharing their diagnosis.

We like to keep score on our wild @ss guesses over here ;)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nothing yet. You know how "the shop" is always behind, but the good news is "it should only be a couple of days." But I will let ya'll know as soon as I find something out.

While it is in the shop I am having them check the starter. About 10% of the time it hangs up. The bike doesn't start and the starter just keeps running even after I let off the button. I have to switch the key off to kill the starter. So...care to take another wild @ss guess?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts