Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What advantages do radial mc's have over the coffin style mc's?

·
Registered
917 Posts
the coffin is the fluid resivoir, not the MC.

but a radial MC will give you better leverage (more braking force per applied force) and better feel as well.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
No. The 'coffin' is a cast section of that particular design of master. You can put a res' from a 999 or ST on a radial if you're looking for something different that that stander cylendrical ones.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
The 749/999 radial master cylinders also have integrated reservoirs, but integrated reservoirs tend to limit your mounting options as the often do not allow you to use two piece clip ons because of clearance issues. On faired bikes the tend to hit things since you can not move the reservoirs out of the way.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
hey, chupa, what are those? I've seen 'em before , but can never remember where.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Those are ISR's from Sweden i think.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I looked into those a couple of years ago, I want to say they're about $300 a side

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Indeed they are ISR items, and they do cost in excess of $300. There is a matching clutch assembly as well.

Soon to grace my S4R

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
goldenchild said:
What advantages do radial mc's have over the coffin style mc's?
Physically, all the radial pumps seem to run a "size larger" than normal axial pull master cylinders. And from experience, I know that the radial pumps have better feel as well as more overall power.

Why?

Well, the radial pumps have the pivot point, load point, and direction of force better optimized to pressurize the hydraulic lines. Look at an axial pull and you'll see that the plunger sweeps in an arc, while the radial pump is more of a straight line (this is where I believe the increased power comes from, allowing the larger cylinder). Also, the radial has a longer distance from the fulcrum to the load, which actually reduces the mechanical advantage. I feel this is where the improved feel comes from.

Together, these 2 factors combine to allow a larger piston which displaces more fluid per amount of piston movement. This means a shorter travel, which means a more linear arc for travel of the load point. Basically, I'd say it looks like a mechanical engineer looked at the pump with a fresh eye and came up with a better solution.

I'm currently in love with the Nissin radial pump like I've got on my S2R. It has a reservoir mount as well as a brake light switch. The Brembo GP pump has neither. And I observe that the Nissin radial pump behaves identically to the Brembo GP pump I had on my 916 years ago. Pics of my nissin brake setup

;D Chris

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^Thanks Chris, that was exactly the well thought out & explained answer I was looking for!

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
ok so only $220 for MC and $220 for flywheel.. that's just great. I'll tell the school system that teachers deserve to get paid more and I'll get a raise so I can afford it all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Davesax36 said:
ok so only $220 for MC and $220 for flywheel.. that's just great. I'll tell the school system that teachers deserve to get paid more and I'll get a raise so I can afford it all.
Man... you should count yourself as lucky. :) I don't need a raise so much as I need a second job.

exhaust...
lightweight rims...
aftermarket seat...
clip-ons...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.