Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fitted some Termi Race straight Thru CF cans to my S4 with a K&n filter , the bike runs much better at midrange and low down now. Thats the good news.

The problem is is now much quieter than with the stock cans, I tested them at the local racetrack with a decibel meter and at 5000rpm the termis were 86db the standard cans were 92db , and this was repeated thru the rev range from tickover to full power.

I nchecked the cans they are marked for race use only, you can put a stick down the middle all the way through so they did not accidentally sell me road pipes, oh I am not deaf, my friend 916 has trtermis and they sound awsome as does my friends M900.

How can this be , the bike runs well but sounds lousy all I can hear is clutch and mechanical noises with the termis,
also the termis are not as well made as the Silmoto cans I have on my M750 and they sound great too.

jerry

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Re: race termis not loud enough

So what's more important? Sounding loud, or runnning strong?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts

Mark1305 said:
So what's more important? Sounding loud, or runnning strong?
Really.....Harleys are loud but slow. I'd rather it run well.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts

I'll add on to my first comments - It's really good to have a "stealth" bike of sorts. When the weather is good enough for the LEOs to be sitting with their windows down, you don't want to be echoing over a 2 square mile area when you twist the loud handle. Do you ?

·
Premium Member
241 Posts

For those of us who share lanes and purchase pipes largely to be heard, it's a bummer. I'd be curious to know why his Termi's are so quiet as I'm about to put some on. LOUDER = SAFER.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: race termis not loud enough amazing update

went to the local race track today with some other Ducati owners , we had use of a Mathesis unt and Dyno belonging to Castrol race team,

For the S4 we had my standard cans , The race Termis, my friends Silmotos from his S4 and a set of cored standard pipes, bike has K&n filter
ECU was standard on the S4s

Each setup was checked using Mathesis unit for any changes needed for optimum, performance.

Dyno results were

with standard cans ..............................peak power 100bhp peak torque 67 ft lbs sound 86db
with cored standard cans......................peak power 105bhp peak torque 70 ft lbs sound 99db
with silmoto C/F race cans.....................peak power 108bhp peak torque 75 ft lbs sound 103db
with race C/F Termi cans........................peak power 103bhp peak torque 71 ft lbs sound 88 db

each setup was also speed tested using timing equipment on the track

result with standard cans top speed 136mph
result with cored standard cans top speed 139mph
result with silmoto cans top speed 140.5mph
result with termi race cans top speed 138mph

I asked the guys subjectivly which cans had the best sound

they unanimously said

1st the sils loud and bassy , with top performance
2nd the standard cored cans loud and boomy a nice mellow sound with suprisingly good performance
3rd the standard pipes because thay are free and worked well.
4th the termis as they sounded awful, very tinny noise, no as much performance gain as the others and a waste of my $900

I have put the cored pipes which are my friend spares , not sure what to do with the termis may cut open to modify them or sell them .
It was a great day out thanks to Damien and Khunb Somplak at the Bira race track Pattaya.

jerry

·
Premium Member
429 Posts

I can'tr figure out why you're termis are so quiet and ''underpowered''. Could it be a factory's mistake that forgot 2 -3 more layers inside the cans. I also have the termis (marked as ''for track use only'') and they are frikkin loud man. They are so loud that they are starting to annoy me. When i pass 6000rpm my mom can hear me and i only show up 5 minutes after.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts

Orfeas said:
I can'tr figure out why you're termis are so quiet and ''underpowered''. Could it be a factory's mistake that forgot 2 -3 more layers inside the cans. I also have the termis (marked as ''for track use only'') and they are frikkin loud man. They are so loud that they are starting to annoy me. When i pass 6000rpm my mom can hear me and i only show up 5 minutes after.
+1. i have arrows on my monster, but every time i've put termis on a duc, it's been BOOMINGLY loud. i had some on my 900SS, 748, and 749, and they were so loud it was painful every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts