Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I hadn't ridden the monster in about a week or so and when I hopped on it this morning I turned the key to on and let it initialize like normal. When I hit the start button, it tried to start, abruptly shut off, and displayed a "R.SW" message which I can only assume means "reset software". It did this twice, then started up. I assume this is an electrical issue. Just not sure if it is a power (possible ground issue) or an ECU problem.

Has anybody had experience with this has seen this error?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
follow-up

So I re-worded my search and I found some similar error messages. It appears not many solutions to this issue. Check the relays, the stator, the rectifier, etc.

Guess, I will go through the eelctrical system next weekend....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Owners manual.

Isn't the "error code" listed in the service manual... the 696 manual has the error code listed???

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was getting that error code on my 2012 796 ABS. Would almost always get it the first time I'd try to start if the bike sat for more than 2 days, but it would usually start strong on the second or third try. Sometimes I'd get that error after riding for 20 mi to work and then only letting it sit a few hours. Was still under warranty so I took it in and they said electrical system was fine and it was just a dying battery (battery still held a charge, guess it had an issue with current draw for cranking). New battery and the error code is gone for now (3 weeks)... guess I'll wait and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Was having the same issue up till a few weeks ago:

Purchased a new EarthX Lithium battery and replaced my starter wiring with the Motoelectric kit - problem persisted. Was a bad battery since it no longer holds a charge.

Bought a new OEM type Yuasa YT-12 battery and the issue seems to have gone away.

Got the bike started yesterday when it was 26 deg F out.

Cheers,

-Dev

·
Registered
59 Posts
It happens if starting the bike after some time (week or two). It's a code fault corresponding to battery. Try researching for cold start. All new gen mosters face this issue. Nothing for concern. If u dont want to see this error code - make sure u ride her more often :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts