Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently posted on this board becuse I was looking at a monster 900 series bike. I am a nubie rider( I did ride when I was 17 and 18 but that was over 15 years ago) With all your exp you steered me away from a big 900 and told me too look for a 620 bike.

So I did what you said and I test drove one the other day and I need a huge amount of advice.

This is my first ducati I ever drove and it was a thrilling experience even though I did not get it out of second gear.

Let me also state that I am very mechanical so I do understand the basics of bike mechanics.

So here are the questions :)

1. The bike is going for 5k USD. It has 3770 miles. Is this a fair price. I only want to offer 4k USD.

2. It seems clean and nice looking. The front tire sill has the little nipples on it( the extra rubber that comes on a new tire)
Now does that little extra rubber stay on after 3700 miles or could this be a new tire?

3. The clutch engages very far out. Is this how ducatis are set up? I am use to them engaging closer in to the handlebars

4. When going to first and second gear the gear shifter seemed to hit the gears hard when changing. Granted I was only going 10 to 30 mph. Is this the feel of a ducati?

I think that is it but I will surely think of more questions.

The bike did have a huge amount of power and is much more than I need but the bike was so light and easy to handle.

Now on the other side to ease my mind. Should I just buy a new one and say screw it on trying to save a few bucks.
What do the 620 ie darks go for from your experience? Should I pay the 1700ish more for the peace of mind?

Any positive or negative responses are truly appreciated and will help me make my decision.

Mike Sab

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Re: Questions on a 2002 620ie dark

Mike- I have the '02 620. The clutch does seem to engage alot further out then I was typically used to on other bikes. I suppose the actual shifting is a little "clunky" on the low gears.
Now what if any mods have been done? You probably want to take that into consideration. If it has new pipes on it already that would save you an additional 700-1000+ on a new exhaust with labor.
As far as the little rubber things on the tires, I have 2k on the clock, I am not certain if they are still there or not. I noticed that they were on for quite a while regardless.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Well he has new mufflers but he is taking them off and putting the stock ones back. There are no mods on the bike.
Mike Sab

·
Registered
477 Posts

Hey Mike,

1. I paid 5995 for a new 2002 in February this year. That looks like a decent price for that many miles. Offer 4.5k.
2. I would think that is a new tire. Even if it was pampered the nipples should be gone. As long as it has good rubber. 3. My clutch engages a little far out. It can be adjusted some. Just have to get used to it.
4. Mine shifts a little hard but not too noticeable. The low end isn't that great but can be adjusted with a sprocket swap.

It is a good looking, well handling bike. You'll like it! As part of your offer have the dealer (if your buying from a dealer) throw in the 6000 mile service. Take care.

·
Registered
73 Posts

1. I'd think something between 4 and 5 K would be a good price as long as the seller has service records and the bike is in close to mint condition.
2. The tires can have the chicken strips on them for the life of the tire. It all depends on how you ride. I had them for the first 1800 miles - until I took my bike to the track - now they are all gone.
3. The clutch does engage very far out. If this bothers you, the solution would be to get adjustable levers. CRG makes nice ones.
4. Not sure - I haven't really noticed myself.

Good luck on your purchase. My '02 620 has been great so far.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I found a brand new 2002 620 ie dark for sale at a dealership in NJ. I am really thinking of going there this week and buying it.
I see OHRaider paid 5995 USD for a 2002 in Febuary. How can I get him to come down to 5995 for the bike. I know they are going to give me a hard time being that the 2003s go for 6995.
What tactics should I use? You have to remember that I am a nubie rider as well as in purchasing them.

Should I go in and stand firm on the 5995 price or what?

I really want this one and I want to get it for 5995 like OHraider did.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

do you own a gun? I hate negotiating. What I would do is say look this is what I am willing to pay you. The bike is going to end up sitting here losing value and taking up space. I am doing you a favor here. If that doesnt work, steal it when the joint is closed. [smiley=evil.gif]

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Lol Tony, I hate negotiating too. I usually get pisssed off and can the whole deal. heh. I am going to go in in the next day or so and just lay it out and let them decide if they want to get rid of it.

Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts

Hi Mike, The dealer was asking $6500. It was a left over and they had to make room for the 03's. I didn't have to beg. Just made the offer. It is up to you on how much you want it. It is costing them money every day it sits there. If the price of a new 03 is a G more then I don't think it is unreasonable to ask 5995 for a left over 02. Ask them if they will take 6000 and throw in the 600 and 6000 service. Go at the end of the month when their trying to meet sales numbers. Be prepared to walk out if they don't meet your price. Get their best price and call around. It is great if you can get the dealers to beat each others price. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

FBF has an '02 750 leftover for only 6395!! probably get it for $6000!!! I got my '02 620 from them in Oct. for $6000!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

hey trigger just buy mine. it has all the goods already done on it plus ya got a year left on the warranty. did i sell ya on it yet?

·
Registered
259 Posts

I bought my 02 M620 in March for $5400 - DUC had $1,500 dealer rebates (you need to find a dealer to throw it your way rather than keep the $$). After I purchased DUC threw in free service. You chould get both. The price of a new 02 M620 should only be a few hundred bucks more than you want to pay for the used 900. You should be able to get the new 620 for low 5s and get the free service. The price difference in 600 miles will be minimal plus you get the warranty and the peace of mind.

If you do go used, I would check www.kbb.com for prices. There is a motorcycle price section. I would also get a dealer to inspect the bike since it has been a few years since you've played with one.

I had a 10 year layoff from riding myself. Last bike was a Yahama SRX600. After trying to get a deal on a slew of used bikes I went the new route. Less guess work. The 620 is quick enough to keep me amused. Takes me to work on nice days and out to the country on nice weekends. I've left is bone stock - seat and all - and I Love it.

Looking forward to riding to work today.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Well this is the deal I got over the phone. The bike is going for 5995. Now that is the over the phone price. This is including rebates and such. I probably will get him to come a bit lower say 5795. 600 and 6000 mile service is free and included.
Well its not even a toss up between used and new the prices. The used prices are too close to new to even think about a used one.

All, thanks a bunch for the help. I will probably be headed to the store to purchase it.
Mike

·
Registered
477 Posts

Sounds great Mike. Good Luck!

·
Registered
668 Posts

Ciao,
there is a new version of 620 coming out, with new Adler clutch, 6 gears, new mirrors (!!!!!!) ,.....

Check out www.motociclismo.it

Should be something out there to surf around ...

Skier

·
Registered
23 Posts

As you can see I'm new to the forums (new to motorcycles entirely).

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts

Good for you chuckin-chad, that safety course will teach you a lot, and have fun with that new bike and be SAFE!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts