Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to keep posting questions about the monster but im trying to do all my homework before I purchase one. Its going to be either the 695 or the 07 800. My biggest concern was maintenance. All im hearing from fellow riders is ducatis are the "Lamborghini" of motorcycles. Is maintenance pretty harsh on a monster? I want to know how much im going to be spending here on tune ups and belt replacements.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
When you say fellow riders, are they fellow "Ducati" riders or riders of japanese liter bikes? If its the latter, then youre getting hearsay information. You can use the search button up top and find out most of your answers. Best bet would be to call an actual dealer yourself and ask for the service department. They will give you the end-all be-all in terms of maintenance costs. For 07 and up you will be spending less as the maintenence intervals went down. If you can do your own oil changes and minor maintenence then right there youve saved some money. I would not go as far as saying they are the lamborghini of motorcycles. Hell, I wouldnt mind having a lamborghini either.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I have a 2001 monster 900 bought new last spring...600 mile service was about $125 6000 mile service last summer $490. 12000 mile service this summer about $850.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Group maintenance day with other riders.... priceless--(as in almost much less price)

·
Banned
1,053 Posts
If you are at all mechanically inclined you can do the maintenance yourself although i'd let the dealer do the 600 mile.

cbm900 said:
I have a 2001 monster 900 bought new last spring...600 mile service was about $125 6000 mile service last summer $490. 12000 mile service this summer about $850.
for $490 you could buy a shim kit, feeler gauges desmodue manual from lt snyder, a haynes manual, brake and clutch bleeder and some other tools (wheel and hub sockets for tire changes) and only have to lay out cash for belts and plugs there after. Valve adjustments are not the boogyman they are made out to be, just give yourself lots of time on the first one, be patient and take it slow and you'll have no trouble on the second.

Davesax36 said:
Group maintenance day with other riders.... priceless--(as in almost much less price)
+1

that would have made things a breeze for me

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
I just put up a couple of videos on maintenance. Two of them cover the most voodoo of tasks Ducati: timing belts and desmo valves. It's really not hard at all.

As far as reliability, my ex-wife, z!na, was nice to her 2000 M900ie and it had no corrective maintenance in its 45,000 miles in her care. She didn't red line it, but wasn't slow either. After 20k miles, we'd check the valves with belt changes (every 10,000 miles). Sold it becuase she got an S2R800. :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
chris said:
I just put up a couple of videos on maintenance. Two of them cover the most voodoo of tasks Ducati: timing belts and desmo valves. It's really not hard at all.
Thanks for the link to the videos I just ordered te disc for $5. Looks to be well worth the price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts