Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one got any idea how to unscew the 6mm hex head that screws into the bottom of the airbox under the headstock, its captive in the plastic and seems to be spinning .?

I am dismantling my bike to do loads of work, some customising and maintainance.
I found chrome flakes in the oil filter today so it looks like rocker problems , also a few metal shavings on sump magnet but that just gearbox swarf.Heads will come off , new belts , valve checks , rockers, polish headers , some more paint on belly pan , new mirrors ,quick connects in the fuel lines, checking alternator nut, replace rear tyre, chain and rear sprocket, replace fork oil with 5w also opening up the termis to remove a little packing and polishing end plates etc should give them a bit more boom boom. (Thai expression for Shagging ) also going to wire a switch into the radiator so I can run it manually, and upgrade the wiring to the headlight with a relay so I can run a 100 w xenon bulb equivalent to 135w Halogen and much whiter light.

jerry

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
What year & model?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
jerryz said:
Any one got any idea how to unscew the 6mm hex head that screws into the bottom of the airbox under the headstock, its captive in the plastic and seems to be spinning .?

-----------------snip------------

jerry
Probably have to cut or grind the head off. :(

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
3M makes a flexible body parts adhesive (2 part epoxy) that may work to fix the nut in place. Then Loctite it and don't over-tighten. Automotive paint supply shops usually have it or other brands of similar application flexible epoxy.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sieg said:
3M makes a flexible body parts adhesive (2 part epoxy) that may work to fix the nut in place. Then Loctite it and don't over-tighten. Automotive paint supply shops usually have it or other brands of similar application flexible epoxy.
I drilled it and fitted a self tapping grub screw and epoxy, it wont turn now and when i refit it will put a spring washer on the bolt so I wont over tighten it.

thanks jerry

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Truthfully, you could likely leave that bolt out without suffering much.
It's not like the airbox is going to fall off....

I've considered leaving the bolt off myself, access to it isn't very good even when you drop the radiator off it's mounts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts