Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The forks that I bought off ebay do not fit my bike, like the top and lower triples they came with. The forks were listed as direct bolt on to any year Monster but unfortunately the triples did not fit and I sold them at ebay. I was thinking that at leats the forks would fit, but apparently they are for older model Monsters. The caliper mounting is different.

There is a pair of spare SBK forks here at the local service which has the correct caliper mounting for my bike and the owner is not using them. They are not in good condition cosmetically but I was thinking to get the bottom part of them (the part from which the caliper mounting sticks out, just below the slider tubes). They are a different part than the slider tubes but I am not sure if they are fixed to the tubes or removable? Better yet, can I not take the bottom part of my forks and put them on the SBK forks?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Why not use the entire slider? Are they the same length? The lower piece will come off but I've heard it is a difficult job.

·
Registered
760 Posts
little bit of info here to hopefully help clear the air.

I'm not sure what year bike you have as it's not mentioned.

So here's the lowdown,

1993-1999 Monsters all have the same brake/wheel/fender mounts which are 40mm from the center of each brake mount bolt (and there's only one pin that holds the brake pads in place)/the wheel is the smaller axle (it's either 17mm or 20mm I don't remember)/ and the fender mounts above the brake mount (at the lower fork slider) to a solid part of the fork leg itself with 2 bolts that are pretty close together.

2000 and newer all have the same brake/wheel/fender mounts (but they're different from the earlier design I mention above) The brakes are 65mm between mounting bolts (center to center) and they have 2 pins that hold the brake pads in place/the wheel is the larger 25mm and the fender mounts to plastic clips which wrap around the lower part of the fork leg.

They changed the triple's steerer tube in 2002 to the newer ST style, so from your original post, it sounds like you have a 2002 or newer bike and that you got the front end from an older pre 2000 bike.

You could use the brake adapters like Desmo Elmer mentions, but that will only fix the brake dilemma, then you'll still have to solve the fender and front wheel mounting issues.

You might be able to do the whole lower slider axle mount swap like Ducpainter is mentions, but I have no first had experience with that one so I can't say.

You can swap in the entire legs from an SBK (from a 748, 916, 996 or 998) pretty easy as the brake/wheel/fender are all the same parts as the newer 2000+ Monsters. The only physical difference is the fork diameters where Monsters are 50/54mm (top/bottom) and the SBK's are 53/53mm. This refers to the clamping diameter of the triples around the fork legs. But parts are not swappable between Monster forks and SBK's as they're different diameter sliders.

Which ever legs you end up swapping in there, it would be best to have them properly set up for you. But you can away with just sticking them on and trying it out first.

HTH and best of luck [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thakns for the replies.
I have a 2000 M600. It has the newer style fender mounts. The forks that I bought also have the newer style fender mounts, i.e. my stock fender and my SBK fender bolts on. BUT the caliper mounts of the forks are different. I don't know from what year SBK these forks are taken from, but apparently an older model.

You could use the brake adapters like Desmo Elmer mentions, but that will only fix the brake dilemma, then you'll still have to solve the fender and front wheel mounting issues.
This is another point that confuses me. I was thinking that if brake mounting was not similar, fender mounting would also be different. But these forks have different brake mounts and same fender mounts as my 2000 M600 ::)

The forks at the service are from a newer SBK. Can I easily swap the whole interior part with the bottom, i.e. using my own forks' outer tubes valves and springs, and that one's slider tubes and caliper mounts?

Here are the forks BTW. The caliper bolts are 40mm and the axle space is 30mm ... So it's like an already played with fork isn't it? Older style caliper mounts but newer style fender mounts and axle width?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
I'm pretty sure the SBKs always used the larger axle and the wider spacing on the fender bolts. Caliper bolt spacing did change, but I don't know when.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the axle is not a problem (which I can't confirm because my bike is at the service right now) then my only issue is the caliper mountings. Those adapters are a good idea, but I need the oppsite ones as they are for converting 40mm calipers to 65 mm forks. Don't know if they can be used for the opposite conversion as well...

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
ducpainter said:
I'm pretty sure the SBKs always used the larger axle and the wider spacing on the fender bolts. Caliper bolt spacing did change, but I don't know when.
Darn, That's the one thing I neglected to mention. The early SBK's (I believe 1998 and older) have the 40mm brake mount, but the axle and fender mount are (and always have been) the same as the newer larger style Monsters. As far as the internals (can you swap) goes I know they changed, but I'm not sure when... it's worth taking apart and investigating or if you can get you hands on some older shop manuals they may help. And what exactly is wrong with the newer SBK's that are at the shop? And do the one's in your picture have gold lower legs?

remember, to put SBK legs onto a monster you have to shim the lower .5mm and bore the upper 1.5mm to accept the SBK legs. And if you plan to use clip ons they have to be 53mm for an SBK.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And what exactly is wrong with the newer SBK's that are at the shop? And do the one's in your picture have gold lower legs?

remember, to put SBK legs onto a monster you have to shim the lower .5mm and bore the upper 1.5mm to accept the SBK legs. And if you plan to use clip ons they have to be 53mm for an SBK.
2001cromo, the newer SBK forks at the shop are not in good shape cosmetically. Scratched and worn pretty bad. And yes, the ones in my pictures have gold lower legs as well as a pair of racetech valves. They are also black anodised. I paid a lot for them and with the valves and the gold legs I prefer to use them if I can... You can find the related story here ( I hope providing the link of a "locked ::) " topic is not a problem).
http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=58377.0

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Those seem like great forks that you bought. Why not make the minor changes to make them work on your bike?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Norm, that's what I'm trying to do. I am trying to figure out what can be done. I posted to see if it was possible to swap the bottom parts with the ones that are on the forks at the shop, 2nd alternative is swapping the whole slider tubes if possible -but then I will have to say goodbye to the gold legs- and 3rd alternative is getting a pair of adapters for 65mm to 40mm... I will be happy if you have got a better solution and share it with me?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If it were me, I'd get the right calipers off Ebay. If you'd like, I'll trade you everything you need to make switch to the SBK forks, including forks, axle, fender, correct caliper mounts, etc., if you send me the black/gold forks that you have. I haven't had much luck swapping fork bottoms, there is a set screw that always seems rusted beyond use. In theory, the lower piece just treads onto the slider tube. What are you doing for triples?

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What's so special about these black/gold forks Norm? I know they have the gold racetech valves and springs and they are black anodised but these are not that expensive and/or rare parts to have... You're talking about fender/caliper/forks/axle... Is there something I am missing here?

Seriously, I like the forks and will use them either with caliper adapters or 40mm calipers. Thank you for your offer.

I sold the gold painted billet triples. They were beautiful but I didn't want to cut my steering stoppers. I will try and do the -classic- boring/shimming operation with the stock triples...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You just said it - they're black with gold nitrate sliders, a Race Tech cartridge, & springs. If they are straight, that makes them that much more valuable. You'd be surprised at the number of "straight" forks that are sold off Ebay from crashed bikes that are actually .020" out (bent!). Usually the seller doesn't even realize it - if they go up & down, they figure they must be good.
Personally, I would have kept the triples & cut the stops off. I remember seeing a picture & they seemed both beautiful & stiff. Don't let anyone discourage you, what you're trying to do isn't as easy as bolting on stock parts, but it really isn't that difficult either. PM me if you hit any snags & I'll be happy to walk you thru it.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all, especially Norm.
During my search for adapters when I saw that motowheels and Yoyodine are out of stock I discovered a site called 1tail.com. Looks to be good place and they carry the adapters. Thought sharing might be helpful for somebody.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts