Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is one of those 'Ducati problems' or a legitimate problem which requires me to take it to the dealer.

Basically if I get lazy with upshifts and don't give it a solid kick, the gears don't properly shift and is actually in between gears - basically kinda like a false neutral when shifting from 1st -> 2nd, only this happens to me in other gears such as 2nd -> 3rd, 3rd -> 4th, etc.

I've never had this happen to me on any other bike (all Jap bikes) so I am a little concerned. The bike is very new (4,000 miles) and has had it's 1st 600 mile service and it's 1 year service.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not sure if this is one of those 'Ducati problems' or a legitimate problem which requires me to take it to the dealer.

Basically if I get lazy with upshifts and don't give it a solid kick, the gears don't properly shift and is actually in between gears - basically kinda like a false neutral when shifting from 1st -> 2nd, only this happens to me in other gears such as 2nd -> 3rd, 3rd -> 4th, etc.

I've never had this happen to me on any other bike (all Jap bikes) so I am a little concerned. The bike is very new (4,000 miles) and has had it's 1st 600 mile service and it's 1 year service.

This has happened to me a few times as well. I did take the bike in and I was told it could be the clutch slave being defective. They changed it and it has not happened since.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is normal between 5 and 6l, but for me mainly when I am getting close to oil change time. I don't use the clutch on upshifts and I very rarely get a false neutral between 5 and 6 when I don't give the shifter enough pressure before blipping off the throttle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine did it a lot when I first got it. Im pretty sure its just the design of it and you can't be lazy while shifting on this bike. Every now and then it will do it to me and its always when I least expect it because I'm not paying attention or something. The gear box on my GSXR and probably most other Japanese bikes seemed smoother. Just took getting use to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
This happens to me between 5 & 6 if I shift lazy.

One thing I noticed is if you run the rpm's up a little higher before shifting this usually does not happen. I think the reason it happens for me between 5 & 6 is I tend to make that shift without the rpm's being as high as most other shifts.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think there are some clutch issues with my bike. There are times when I feel that the clutch does not fully engage. hmm not sure if i mean the disengage but what i mean is I pull the clutch handle and the bike feels as if i am not pulling it all the way. mostly in first.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, this bike is full of false neutrals. The most prevalent is the 5-6. If you get lazy with the shift foot, you will find it! I find more than I like... I just deal with it honestly. The dealer can't do a thing about it.

My clutch feels great, completely normal and I don't think it's the problem.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
This happens to me between 5 & 6 if I shift lazy.

One thing I noticed is if you run the rpm's up a little higher before shifting this usually does not happen. I think the reason it happens for me between 5 & 6 is I tend to make that shift without the rpm's being as high as most other shifts.
+1 On RPM, mine shifts much better above 5000 rpm, the higher the better. My old bike(2001 M900S.I.E.) did this, too. What I've noticed on both bikes, it happens more often if the chain is grimy, and needs some lube. Also, seems to happen more often when it's due for an oil change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts