Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Granted I am new to Ducs and I know the dry clutch on my S4 is loud, grabby etc (I'm not complaining I love the bike and her quirks) but it seems like its starting to slip a little.

I purchased the bike with 2600 miles on it and have only put on about another 400 but when its hot it seems to slip and the lever is right at the top of its travel.

I have removed the dust from the cover but I can't tell if that helps much.

How hard would the previous owner had to work at it to fry the clutch that fast? Anything I can do or should I bite the bullet and pull it out and check for glazing etc?

TIA for the advice.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You should get 10-20,000 miles out of a clutch. If you're really slipping, try taking it apart, deglaze & shuffle the drive plates.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
while your at it, check the stack height. if the stack height is good, follow Norm's advice. a clutch is a consumable part. abusive riding can kill it quick. i had the displeasure of seeing a 748 with 400 miles. toasted clutch, broken chain, cracked engine case from chain, low side. a few too many wheelies.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gents-

I will try to pull it later today. The previous owner doesn't appear to have ridden it very hard, mostly city riding based on the tire wear. But I guess that could be worse on a Ducati clutch..

I don't yet have a shop manual so I'm not sure what the stack height should be. I will do a search and see what I can find.

Then again if I can convince myself its time for a new clutch the 48T anodized with an open cover would be really nice...

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
According to Haynes, the friction plates minimum thickness is 2.8mm. I've checked mine twice about 3K miles apart and they are holding steady at 2.9mm. The clutch is original and coming up on 15K miles.

When blowing out the cltuch dust, don't forget to sqeeze the handle so you can blow out between the plates. I usually do it with the engine idling so the plates rattle around and help get the dust out.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mark

I haven't had time to look for the info..

I'll check it this afternoon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts