Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question re: clutch replacement (don't click if you're just gonna say "search")

My clutch is starting to go out on me. I am a student (meaning low on cash) and this is my daily driver, so I can't afford to have my bike sitting in pieces while I wait for parts that I forgot.

My main interest is economy, not performance.

Given these circumstances, I was hoping for some advice specific to my situation. I've read the how-to threads and have a Haynes manual, but knowing me I would forget to order a part that might need to be replaced, and I haven't found much info on options as far as what parts to buy to save money versus spending more for upgraded performance.

If anyone is feeling philanthropic, could you please help me out with a list of parts to buy online? A plus would be a good (cheap) place to buy them from. Any tips or tricks would be helpful too, but I can find those in the how-to threads.

Also, what tools do I need? Anything special?

2000 Monster 750 Dark. 20k miles

Oil last replaced with the oil recommended by my local dealer.

Symptoms: Slips when trying to out-accelerate porsches after splitting to the front of the intersection & when nailing the throttle in top gear on the highway. Starting to get difficult to find neutral and jerks forward (slightly) when popping it into first.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Re: Question re: clutch replacement (don't click if you're just gonna say "search")

model, year and mileage?

Do you have a wet clutch and did you recently change oil using car-specific oil?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Question re: clutch replacement (don't click if you're just gonna say "search")

Spidey said:
model, year and mileage?

Do you have a wet clutch and did you recently change oil using car-specific oil?
Oh god. What a moronic mistake. I've added that info to the post. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Banned
897 Posts
If you're having problems with both engaging and disengaging it may be your slave cylinder, not the clutch. Check for leaks.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts

As far as slipping goes, the most you should need is clutch plates. What kind of oil is in the bike now?
The hard time finding neutral may be solved by bleeding the clutch or a new slave. Try bleeding first since you are on a budget.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ddan said:
If you're having problems with both engaging and disengaging it may be your slave cylinder, not the clutch. Check for leaks.
Really? It is leaking. That's good news! Would it really cause a slip? It seems odd to think that it would cause a clutch slip when the clutch lever is completely disengaged.

howie said:
What kind of oil is in the bike now?
I should be shot for saying this and considering myself a do-it-your-selfer but I have no idea. I had the oil changed by the service department at a ducati dealer and didn't bother to ask. I figure it's probably the right kind since they seem really reliable.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ajax said:
Really? It is leaking. That's good news! Would it really cause a slip? It seems odd to think that it would cause a clutch slip when the clutch lever is completely disengaged.

I should be shot for saying this and considering myself a do-it-your-selfer but I have no idea. I had the oil changed by the service department at a ducati dealer and didn't bother to ask. I figure it's probably the right kind since they seem really reliable.
The slave wouldn't cause the slip, but it would cause the jolt and the hard to find neutral.

I asked about the oil because the plates aren't cheap, oil is a lot cheaper. Yes, the oil would be a long shot. No, you shouldn't consider being shot for doing it yourself. If you are handy and have basic tools the Haynes manual should get you through.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
howie said:
The slave wouldn't cause the slip, but it would cause the jolt and the hard to find neutral.

I asked about the oil because the plates aren't cheap, oil is a lot cheaper. Yes, the oil would be a long shot. No, you shouldn't consider being shot for doing it yourself. If you are handy and have basic tools the Haynes manual should get you through.
No, I meant I should be ashamed for having a dealer change the oil.

Now it sounds like I need a slave and plates. :(

G

·

change the oil first (and brand). My wet clutch is a little picky on what oil I out in it. Some types of oil makes it slip quite noticeably, others don't. I ran Honda synthetic moto oil and that worked fine as well as motul full synthetic.

BTW I have a wet clutch too obviously, it's an '02 750

Good luck [thumbsup]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

pt33 said:
change the oil first (and brand). My wet clutch is a little picky on what oil I out in it. Some types of oil makes it slip quite noticeably, others don't. I ran Honda synthetic moto oil and that worked fine as well as motul full synthetic.

BTW I have a wet clutch too obviously, it's an '02 750

Good luck [thumbsup]
Is there any way my 2000 750 Dark has a dry clutch? I only ask because the guy at CA-cycleworks asked me what kind of clutch I had after I told him the year and model. I thought all 2000 750s were wet.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
2000 750 came with a wet clutch.
(all 7-fiddys did)

if it has been changed to a dry, that is a butt-load of work, and i only know of 1 like that in all of Monsterdom. ;)

G

·

exactly how much work is a "butt-load"? :eek:

[cheeky]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Do I need a pump or anything to replace the clutch slave?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
ajax said:
Do I need a pump or anything to replace the clutch slave?
No you can manually bleed it. There are a bunch of tricks. They can be stubborn.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts

funny enough, I've never really liked changing brake fluid (or clutch fluid in this case) in ANY of my vehicles, I've tried everything with minimal success...
Finally decided to spend some more money on another specialzied tool and this one did wonders for my brake bleeding ability!

from Griot's garage, it's a one-person bleeder that uses an air compressor to suck the fluid out, very very cool and I could bleed my car and bike all at once in under like 30 minutes [thumbsup]

Griot's garage brake bleeder

btw, that's a monster wheel in the picture of all things ;)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
When my 750 was a wet-clutch, it was VERY particular on what type of oil it liked. Full synthetic's would cause the exact same symptoms you describe. Semi-synthetic oils were better...but not by much. I finally settled on Motul 3000 20w50 (your weight may vary). The Motul 3000 is a standard dead-dinosaur oil and my wet-clutch bike liked it a lot.

Most dealerships only have a couple of grades of oil in bulk. By this point in history, I'd be willing to wager that they're both full-on synthetics. Call your dealership, be specific (have work order in hand) about your bike (Do you remember my M750?), and get an answer on what oil went into it.

My guess is that your oil is your culprit. Oh, and bleed your slave cylinder man... [thumbsup]

Oh, and I own/built the 750 w/a dry-clutch...yes it's a butt-load of work. No, you don't want to do it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts