Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has modified their own stock clutch cover. I have access to a drill press and numerous sanders. I would like to get an open cover but I'd rather save the money for other modifications. It would be fun to try to design something a little different also. I figure if I screw it up no big deal. I know how to wax up, cast and polish small metal or gold objects but I've never attempted anything much larger than my thumb nail. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

Dents

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey Dents, I modified a stock clutch cover, I drilled 12 1-1/4" holes in a stock cover and then painted it. The stock cover is a 2 layered stamped steel piece, but I didn't have too much trouble with it seperating. I used a hole saw, and where it did seperate a little on the face, I squirted a little JB Weld in and clamped it, and all was good. I drilled 4 holes in the face, and 8 holes around the edge, and I think it looks pretty good for my handiwork. By the way, are you a farmer? If so, me too. Let me know if you need some pics, I took a few and sent them to another guy on the board, and I can send em out again if needed (I'm way too big a [email protected] to figure out how to post on the board)

G

·
if you can track down the stock cover off an earlier model, they used to be aluminum. don't know what year the change was made though. would drill easier and will polish up nicer as well. the steel one of course will rust over if not painted.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the feedback. It was all really helpful. Maybe my grandpa can help me fabricate something out of aluminum. If not that clutch cover sounds like a good deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts