Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Question on oil sensor

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Speeddog 
#1 ·
My 01 M900 only has a pressure sensor next to clutch and oil fill. In looking at some other monsters I see that the plug at the bottom of the crankcase where the screen is behind also has what looks like some kind of sensor in it. Is this an oil temp sensor?? What years was that on. I see one on an M1000DS but I also see it on some of the older 2v's as well.

Ultimately I'd like to put an actual pressure guage where my current sensor is but I don't want a bunch of ugly plumbing to keep the sensor as well. I'd think that there would be pressure down on that strainer plug as well.

Just curious.

#2 ·
I don't have an oil flow diagram handy to refer to, but the filter screen is on the inlet side of the oil pump. That would mean no meaningful pressure measurement - if any pressure at all. But that is a good place for an oil temp sensor where it is in the sump full of oil that has returned from cooling the heads and other engine parts.

Normally pressure sensors are placed to measure the pressure between the pump and the rest of the engine. The farther down the oil path you go, the more pressure drops or varies as oil branches off through various bearings (and that's an overly simplistic description). It's not like a static/closed hydraulic system where pressure stays more or less equal throughout. Like brakes.

#4 ·
Thanks, so it's temp. What bikes had temp sensors?? I know the new ones but apparently some older ones as well?

Larry

#5 ·
To minimize ugly plumbing, you could run a line from where your pressure sensor is now, up under the tank area, and mount the pressure sensor there, then run the line from there up to your pressure gauge. Just be sure to use good quality hose and fittings, as leaks on the pressure side of the system can get ugly real quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.