Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the bike this weekend. Owner only had 1 key.

I keep hearing that their should be three keys and a red key?

edit: bike is a s2r 1000

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I just went through this with my new-to-me S2R. Newer Ducatis come with two black keys, the infamous red key and a code card. The black keys can be replaced and cloned using the red key. The red key is also used for some maintenance tasks and the tech will ask you to bring it along when you schedule certain types of service. If you didn't get a red key, you're in a bind. In order to get one you have to replace several very expensive items (ECU, dash, ignition, etc). Also, if you didn't get the code card that could be a problem. It had the "mechanical code" that identifies your keys and also the "electronic code" that you would need in case the coding in your keys gets screwed up somehow. With that code you can use the throttle and a light on your instrument panel to code in the numbers so you can start the bike. If you do not have the red key or the code card I'd say you're in trouble, so soon will be. I'd go back to whoever you purchased the bike from and find out what happened to the red key and the code card. You're talking big $ to replace it and you should have gotten it as part of the transaction. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts