Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 M900. It has around 1800 miles on it now. During my 600 mile service I did everything the manual requires, including a compression check. At that time I could never get a reading over 100psi on both cylinders. I tried everything, even squirting oil in the cylinders but no dif. With another 1200 miles on the bike I'm still getting 100psi. My guage is good cause I can crank 160 psi on my Harley easily and I can check it compared to my oil pressure testing guage at 100psi and they both read the same so I have confidence in the guage. I use absolutely no oil. The level hasn't moved even 1/16" in 1200 miles. I have a small k&n on the breather and I'm not getting any oil or even mist thrown out of the breather so I seriously doubt I'm getting blow by from the compression rings. Like I said, even a couple squirts of oil in the cyl's won't bring it up. And they both are dead nuts the same. The bike has great power. It will loft the front wheel easily in first gear, even when I had the 15t sprocket on. I would think if I was down on power it wouldn't do that as easy as it does. It always starts right off, no excessive cranking typical of low compression. The bike doesn't turn over real fast, but I honestly have not heard another Duc start so it may be turning just fine. The voltage is where it should be on the battery.

The book doesn't call for a valve check until the 6k mark but i'm going to do another oil change and service at 2500 miles then every 2500 miles after that (that's what I do with all my bikes). I think I will check the valves then. But it seems unlikely to be the valves since both cyls are identical and it runs so good.

According to the manual it should be around 150 min I believe. How does the rest of the mosters out there read? I need to decide if I really have a problem so I can get the dealer to fix before I go off warranty. I wonder if the dealer would give me crap for the breather and slip ons and deny my warranty claim? I'd hate to have to put all my stock stuff back on.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
when you do the compression test is the engine warm? are you holding the throttle open?

i can't answer for your dealer, but prolly not.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, tested both warm and cold, with wot, same reading each and every time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 97 hits pretty close to 125. You might check the valves. Even new bikes will sometimes be out of tollerance. The other comments here are valid as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts