Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the difference is between the throttle opening cable and the closing cable on a carbed M900?

I checked with my dealer today to make sure they had a replacement in stock for the opening cable that broke on Saturday. I asked the parts guy if both cables were the same. He said they show as different parts and the opening cable costs $52 compared to $26 for the closing cable. While taking the broken one off, I couldn't see any difference between the cables without pulling the closer off to compare (which I'm not inclined to do).

That seems odd since the cables look so similar all the way to the adjusters at the carb end.

Anyone know from experience?

I seriously thought about using the broken cable as an excuse to go ahead and get FCR 41s since they come with new cables and throttle ;D But, FCRs will have to wait until after new clutch and probably Dyna Coils first. :(

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi Mark,

The "push" cable has much longer inner to outer length compared to pull. ( I think ) I do know they are different and not compatible, as the same thing happened to me and Pongo just before riding to Laguna in 2003! That sure made for a mad scramble!

:) Chris

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris! I remembered your report about that and thought about keeping a spare. But at my dealer's price, by the time I break another one I'll be ready to put the money toward the swap to FCRs ;D

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
If you haven't ordered the replacement yet, I still have the throttle cables from my 97 M900. I'll make you a real good deal on them. Please send me e-mail (as opposed to a PM) if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Why bother with a return cable, just put a bigger return spring on & enjoy the better throttle response.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott, Thanks for the offer. I didn't see your post until after I got back from the dealer this afternoon. Dohhh!

It's probably better that I put a totally fresh one on anyway. I think I'm pretty rough on the opener cable when I'm rolling the twist grip against the WFO stop. ;D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts