Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can connecting rod bolts be reused? I have read somewhere to use new ones each time, but don't know if that is good info.

Does anyone know if ARP makes a bolt to fit our applications?

TIA.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've rebuilt motors but wouldn't consider myself a real engine builder. I think it's kinda like balancing a motor after adding high comp pistons, it's a good idea, but most people don't do it. However, brand new Carrillo rods will come with new bolts for you.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Connecting rod bolts are the highest stressed fastener in your motor.
The penalty for a broken rod bolt is generally severe.
IMO, it's cheap insurance, like changing belts at 12k/2yo.

ARP makes heaps of fasteners.
I downloaded their catalog, and they don't have any bike applications that I saw.
I'd say chances are good that they have a bolt that will work, you'll have to chat with them on the phone I suspect.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I hang with some guys that professionally rebuild 2 stokes.

They tell me in their applications it's OK to reuse con rod bolts, but the bolt must be used in the same set of threads it came out of.

I have reused them on outboards that are well into there second 1000 hrs. Not problems thus far. But they are no Duc.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
2-strokes are pretty easy on the rods, they get next to no tension load on 'em.
So the rod bolts don't work real hard.

I'm pretty sure Carillos come with ARP bolts.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
ARP cylinder studs pre-loads...

On the subject of new ARP cylinder studs for '94M900... Has anyone 'pre-stressed'
those five times as per ARP's instructions before final pre-load ? If so what lube if any ?
what torque for each of the five steps ? and what final pre-load torque ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts