Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently waiting for a pair of Cyclecat DRS-43's for a 02 S4 with an Arrow high pipe, I tried to install a set DRS-23's with passenger pegs, had no luck because the master cylinder for the brake hit's the exhaust pipe so I brought them back to my local Cyclecat dealer and they are ordering me the 43's. My Question is, it looked like with a few spacers behind the sets and the pegs where they attach to the frame the passenger pegs will actually work with the pipe, have any of you attempted this? If so what did you do? I know Cyclecat does not recommend this!
JJ

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
jj: I am also very interested in this question. I'm debating CycleCat versus S&P, and the only big advantage the S&P has over the CycleCats is the passenger capability.

Strati has made the CycleCats work with passenger pegs and high pipes, and triued to explain it to me in an email earlier today. I've emaield him back asking for some clarifications. Once I get it figured out, I'll share it too.

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strati has made the CycleCats work with passenger pegs and high pipes, and triued to explain it to me in an email earlier today. I've emaield him back asking for some clarifications. Once I get it figured out, I'll share it too.
correction jim. i've got them on with LOW pipes.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Strati: So you 've never had the CycleCats plus passneger pegs working with HIGH pipes?

JIm G

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strati: So you 've never had the CycleCats plus passneger pegs working with HIGH pipes?

JIm G
it's not so much the c'cats that effect this. it's the bracket that's used for the passenger pegs. the unit c'cat has available for passenger pegs works only with low-mount cans because they run straight back from the mount point. the units i'm running (sourced here http://www.spareshack.com/cgi-bin/b...ssion=36870510&view=group&group=mon4900s4bil9) apparently CAN run high-mounts as shown in the small pic on the site.

since these brackets mount BETWEEN the rearset and the frame, i don't think it would matter in the least what brand of rearset you install.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Strati: NOW I get it!!

Buy whatever rider rearsets you want, as long as they stay entirely OUTSIDE the plane made by the frame mounting holes for the rearsets.

Buy and mount the passenger pegs from Spareshack that bolt on between the rider rearsets and the frame. Those passenger mounts appear to sweep STRAIGHT back, so as long as you can hold a ruler (or other straight edge) straight back from the frame mount points and NOT hit whatever exhaust system you are running, the passemger mounts and pegs will fit!

Neat solution, Strati, as usual. You're the man!

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll take a shot of the bracket from a different angle on my bike so you can see that it actually steps outboard right about where high-pipes' "s-bends" would sweep past. give a bit more room than the line you're thinking of. unfortunately, i haven't got high-mounts to trial-fit and verify, but i'm pretty certain the pic stuart's got on his site are of sil motor high-mounts for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
No, I take it back. I'm STILL stupid.

I looked at your posting again, and then looked at the Spareshack webpage you included again.

It's NOT the FIRST passenger pegs in the Spareshack webpage you are drawing attention to, but instead the ones at the BOTTOM of the page (included WITH the rider rearsets in that bottom photo)!

The key feature of those passenger mounts is that they do NOT go straight back, but rather angle OUTWARD first, and THEN go back. That allows them to clear the high pipes.

Those rearsets and passenger mounts in that bottom photo ARE the S&P set!

So, what I really need to buy is:

CycleCat rider rearsets (much more adjustable than the S&P rider rearsets), plus S&P passenger mounts / pegs to mount WITH them!

In that bottom photo, Spareshack shows the passeger mounts mounted OVER the rider mounts, but I can see where you could mount the passenger mounts FIRST, and then mount the rider mounts on top of them. That would look cleaner, provided that the passenger mounts still clear whatever exhaust you are running. If they do NOT clear the exhaust, the next remedy would be to mount the passenger mounts OVER the rider mounts, but some brands / models of rider rearsets might not allow that ebcause of their shape.

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's NOT the FIRST passenger pegs in the Spareshack webpage you are drawing attention to, but instead the ones at the BOTTOM of the page (included WITH the rider rearsets in that bottom photo)!
argh! sorry dude, but you were right the 1st time. i'm referring to the 2nd item on the page. the 1st passenger peg mounts. like i said. i'll post a pic to illustrate that they don't run straight back.

The key feature of those passenger mounts is that they do NOT go straight back, but rather angle OUTWARD first, and THEN go back. That allows them to clear the high pipes.
this is also a feature as you see on the optional passenger section of the S&P's.

Those rearsets and passenger mounts in that bottom photo ARE the S&P set!
yes, that's correct.

So, what I really need to buy is:
CycleCat rider rearsets (much more adjustable than the S&P rider rearsets), plus S&P passenger mounts / pegs to mount WITH them!
NO! the S&P passenger mounts won't bolt onto the cyclecat rearsets. the cyclecat rearsets don't have the tabs protruding from them that the S&P's have to accomodate passenger sections.

In that bottom photo, Spareshack shows the passeger mounts mounted OVER the rider mounts, but I can see where you could mount the passenger mounts FIRST, and then mount the rider mounts on top of them. That would look cleaner, provided that the passenger mounts still clear whatever exhaust you are running. If they do NOT clear the exhaust, the next remedy would be to mount the passenger mounts OVER the rider mounts, but some brands / models of rider rearsets might not allow that ebcause of their shape.
sorry dude, but you're not getting it... take a look at this pic:

see the tabs protruding out the back-side of the rearset? that's where the passenger pegs mount on the S&P's. if you look at a pic of the c'cat rearsets, there's no such tabs.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did it I successfully mounted the passenger pegs with the DRS-43's, works perfectly! I can see how this would be difficult to do on some other pipes though. I will post pics in the near future ;)
JJ

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
JJ: WHICH passenger pegs did you mount with the CycleCat rearsets? Cyclecat or the ones that Starti is referring to?

Also, if you took off the stock peg assemblies, can you weigh them and let us know the weight TOTAL for both rider and passenger pegs and both sides?

I think they are 6lb, but would be interested in seeing if they vary from bike to bike.

Jim G

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jim, i appologize but in taking a closer look (and pic) of the passenger brackets mounted on my s4, it's evident that high-mount exhaust tubing can't fit between it and the swingarm. in the pic on spareshack.com, there must be some sort of spacer mounted between the bracket and the frame to make this room. here's a shot looking down at the assembly on my bike:

my vote (for your application) is to go with the S&P's

·
Registered
849 Posts
Alright. This has only piqued my interest in the last two days. I sold the R6, which I used whenever I had to carry a passenger, and will have to fit passenger pegs to the S4 now. I'm running Termi high mounts and RedRacing (S&P) rearsets, which I hate. Jim, I'm determined to make the CycleCats work with my Termis. Watch me.

If anybody has any other input in this matter, please share.

-R.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Terrible Viking and Strati: Stuart at Spareshack appears to eb telling me via email that the following combination works, at least with his SIL high pipes on his S4. The SIL pipes are surely similar diameter or larger than the stock Termi pipes I would think, so here goes:

CycleCat rearsets for rider
Spareshack passenger mounts & pegs for pasenger
Spacers between the frame and the above combiantion.

The spacers evidently move the passenger peg mounts outboard enough to clear the pipes.

I am confirming with Stuart via email if my understanding is correct.

Jim G

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim I'm using all Cyclecat products-sets, passenger pegs, I used a quarter inch spacer behind the passenger peg and sets to space far enough away from the pipes, also the cyclecat pegs stick out further than the stock ones do! so it works perfectly ;) I will post pics in the near future 8)
JJ

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
JJ: Thanks. That's what I was hoping to hear!

Jim G

1 - 18 of 18 Posts