Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm getting a bike end of spring, and what do you know... I love the monster.
I want to stick to the 620 since it will be my first bike.

The problem is I live in Texas, and it gets very hot during summer, and the 620 is air cooled...
Do you think it will be a big problem (heat soak?)? All the people I talked to insist I should go with liquid cooled here in Texas, but I really enjoy the monster's style.
My other option would be a Triumph speed 4 for the simmilar look and liquid cooling, but its not the same...

Any help is appreciated.

Gus.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think it depends on the type of riding you will be doing.
If it's alot of stop and go, I might be worried.
If you are out there tearing up the twisties you will be fine!
Go get that Monster!!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I'll be doing alot of in-tow ridding... I guess I can start with the Triumph and get a liquid cooled monster as an upgrade down the road. :'(

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I had the M620 here in Hawaii. It doesn't get as hot as texas, but I rode in serious stop and go traffic every day. I never had an overheating problem.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oil cooler heh?

I'll inquire about that... Did the dealer say anything about warranty issues with that?

God I want the monster soooo bad I'm getting pissed at the possibility of not getting one.. :p

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
oil cooler heh?

I'll inquire about that... Did the dealer say anything about warranty issues with that?

God I want the monster soooo bad I'm getting pissed at the possibility of not getting one.. :p
I didn't even ask about warrant issues. Although I had the dash replaced (under warranty $600) with no problems.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The only picture I have is one of the oil cooler before I put it on. Next time I am at home I can snap one (I'm at school) It was an oil cooler off of a 750. http://www.kc-international.com/ sells a kit just for the 620 that comes with an oil cooler, hoses, and all of the mounting hardware. It is kind of expensive, but if you want to do it really easily and have a few bucks, this would be an option.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I am in TX and have yet to experience a summer here. I have the 620 and never had any problems in extreme heat. Why not give it a shot and if you end up needing the cooler, then do that. I say go with the Duc, and talk to the dealer and see what they have to say. They see the bikes coming in for service. BTW- what city are you in?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Gus,
Where I live it gets to be 110-ish in the summer and I havent had a problem yet.
:)

Jen

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Here's one...a bit more pricey than $60 at $120, though...and w/out the hoses/etc

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gus get the Monster, you'll love it. Don't sweat the heat thing.
Many moons ago ALL bikes were air cooled. They had crap metallurgy, crap oil, no air cleaners, and dirt friggin' roads. People still spent long green on bikes and enjoyed them.
Bikes now are vastly better machines and a h&ll of alot more durable than we may think .
The 620ie comes with an oil temp guage, if it gets above 280-300F, slap a cooler on it.
Geeeet Thee Moooonsteeeer ( that was Svegali voice)and dont look back
My $.02

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I've done some Monster riding in the Austin area and know people with them in Houston and never seen problems. East Texas has enough humidity that evaporative cooling works pretty well.

I've had my Monster while living in Phoenix, Las Vegas, (riding when it's close to 120*F) and New Mexico and have only had one heat related problem and that was from letting the fuel line sit too close to the exhaust port on the vertical cylinder and causing vapor lock.

If you're in West Tx, give AMS a call and ask if they've seen it as an issue on bikes without the oil cooler.

HTH,
--Fillmore

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow!!! :eek:
Thanks for all the help guys. I had my mind made up already... Can't get a better looking bike than the monster. ;D

The oil cooler will be a good addition if needed, we'll see how it goes.

The only bad thing about the monster is that I'm already planning all sorts of mods, which is not good on my tuition money. But the only mod I'll do for sure when I get it will be slapping dual headlights on the sucker.

I'm glad there is a strong monster community out there to help out. Everything going as planned I will be a part of it comming May.
Once again, thanks guys.
BTW Loki, I live in Plano just north of Dallas.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the heads up, but I have to get through the boss first (a.k.a. significant other). She's a little upset aboout the bike decision... :-/

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, but I have to get through the boss first (a.k.a. significant other). She's a little upset aboout the bike decision... :-/
Ha, don't worry, just get her on the back of that thing, maybe she'll change her tune! Maybe not though. Good Luck ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts