Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my 2000 750 monster in for its 6k tune up, the shop said i should probably rejet it to make it run better. *I havent noticed it running poorly*. They said it could benefit from an open airbox and rejetting. WELL since they wanted to sell me a jet kit for $180 bucks plus 2 hours of service i declined the Rejetting, but they said they could do the airbox for cheap and it would help.

Questions are
1. Does the bike really need to be rejetted?
2. i thought the bikes ??? run lean to meet emissions so wouldnt opening the airbox and giving it more air make the A/F ratio even worse!?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well almost yes and yes. The bikes run lean from the factory. Open air box and open exhaust leanes them out even more. The pipes themselves will not make much difference so I dont think you need to rejet. However if you open the airbox and put in a K&N filter (because it will withstand the weather better and is washable) the bike WILL run lean or very lean and poor and will need rejeting (CO adjust if FI). The open box does nice sound and can improve performance. I installed a DP filter an high titanium Remus pipes and the bike runned like s***t popping and stumbling all over. Today it is in for CO adjustment and later this summer I will change the ECU .

I think that if you do not want to you dont have to open the box and/or change the filter. I certainly do on the Monster 900ie and my ST4s. Rejeting is the cheapest and simplest way of adjusting but not optimal. FIM or PC tuned on a Dyno is the optimal solution. Plus...its cool to have a bike with USB interface ;).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. No. If you're happy with the way it is, you're fine. Though I have heard about an "ovaling" problem on jets after a while. I did the k&n/openbox/stage2/pipes thing and I think it really smoothed out the power delivery - 1st gear doesn't crap out at 25mph and stop pulling at about 4,000 rpm. You could do the Stage 1 jet and keep your stock box and pipes, but I don't know if it would be worth it. Pain in arse getting carb out. Or expensive.

2. You can get the K&N with your setup, but don't open the box. It will indeed run like crap. Also don't buy the BS that you need the billet ring to make the K&N fit. It fits fine with the stock lid.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the bike is running good and your spark plugs look good, I don't see a need to mess with it. Sounds like your dealer is just trying to squeeze a few bucks out of you.
Like the others have said, if you decide to open your airbox at some point, only then will you have to compensate for the extra lean mixture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts