Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has not been a good year for the duc... many electrical problems (now fixed) and the recent tip over (landlord's crew knocked it over but no witnesses) have me with broken clip ons, bend shifter, and badly dented and scratched gas tank. i feel it may be worth calling the insurance co. I've never filed a claim so i'm soliciting advice. do i take it to a shop first and have them estimate the work. I don't want them to total the bike but that's always a fear... as it is very old. can i get a check then do the work sourcing parts myself or does the shop that estimates it have to do the work? any and all advice appreciated...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm not expert but:

Give the ins a call, and let them know you're taking into a shop.

Take it to a shop, you can get an estimate for free probably. Keep in mind that if they do a good job, they might notice some things you didn't. Or stuff you know about, but don't care to fix. Also it's a good idea for them to check the frame.

Based on what they come up with, you can cross off items that you don't wish to claim.

Once you get to that final list, that woudl be sumbitted. But keep in mind, that it might well get totalled. If they total it, they will cut you a check, and you *might* be able to buy it back and fix it up again.

If they don't total it, they should cut you a check for an estimated reapair cost. All parts will be new prices.. so if you reair or e-bay stuff, you could come out with some spare cash.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
it will likely be totaled, the tank alone is about 1500+ just for the part, not counting installation. But, you can opt to buy the bike back from the insurance company and fix it yourself for considerably less.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, the totalling is a worry, if they total it, it will likely leave me with less money than i'd spend on a replacement... and buying back could work but you then have a bike with a salvage title... not the easiest to get registered or sold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.