Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That info is posted all over Ducati's site. If there is no difference between the S2R 1000 06 and 07, as I suppose (beside the black rims), how can the 07 model be expected to go less frequently to the mantanance/repair shop?

I am asking that because I am planing on buying one, and do not know if I should wait for the 07 model to arrive here in the Ducati Sao Paulo.

Somebody knows what makes the 07 models to have 50% less maintanance costs? And if there is actually a difference between the S2R100 06 and 07?

Thanx!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
A search on "increased maint interval" should answer your questions.

But, from what I've understood, there is no difference mechanically between the two bikes. Just that tolerances have been increased with the new models (oversimplified explination).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,761 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
A search on "increased maint interval" should answer your questions.

But, from what I've understood, there is no difference mechanically between the two bikes. Just that tolerances have been increased with the new models (oversimplified explination).
..more like 6k was overly pessimistic to begin with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Slowpoke.

But I searched and did not find anything conclusive.

It just doesn't make sense ::). If the bikes are mechanically the same, why one needs to go sooner to the shop than the other ???
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,761 Posts
Ducbras said:
Thanks, Slowpoke.

But I searched and did not find anything conclusive.

It just doesn't make sense ::). If the bikes are mechanically the same, why one needs to go sooner to the shop than the other ???
like i said above, they used to be overly pessimistic. they likely could have had 7500mi intervals for the last decade or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Ducati corporate or Ducati Tech decided their bikes could go a bit longer between services. This could easily have been prompted by the "Ducati Maint Costs" that seem to grip most non Duc riders, and keep them away from the Ducati line.

But again, all we're going to get is speculation. I'm sure if you bought an 04 (or 03, 02, etc..), you could keep the 7500 interval without too much concern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I got it! I can buy the last S2R100 06 units in feb07 with bonus, rebates and so (old inventory), and still have the maintanence cost of the 07 models.

Ducati should be more transparent about that! Instead, their are saying that because of Research and Development Investments, they have improved their bikes, from maintenance cost point of view!

And probably you can loose the warranty, if you have a problem with your 06 bike and they find out that you follow a 07 schedule!!!

I am only buying the 06 model if the deal is really good. If not, I will be conservative and go for the 07.

Thanks, man!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,363 Posts
I remember reading someplace, in a blurb related to the MTS 1100 I think, that they are using a new material for the valve seats. But don't quote me on that......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,761 Posts
MikeB said:
I remember reading someplace, in a blurb related to the MTS 1100 I think, that they are using a new material for the valve seats. But don't quote me on that......
valve seats or valve guides? from what i understand the 1000ds motor eats valveguides like popcorn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45,105 Posts
The guides (IIRC) were an early DS1000 problem that has since gone-away with a different material for the valve guides.

I do remember reading somewhere that a new valve seat is the cause for the increased valve adjustment interval....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Ducbras said:
Now I got it! I can buy the last S2R100 06 units in feb07 with bonus, rebates and so (old inventory), and still have the maintanence cost of the 07 models.

Ducati should be more transparent about that! Instead, their are saying that because of Research and Development Investments, they have improved their bikes, from maintenance cost point of view!

And probably you can loose the warranty, if you have a problem with your 06 bike and they find out that you follow a 07 schedule!!!

I am only buying the 06 model if the deal is really good. If not, I will be conservative and go for the 07.

Thanks, man!
I'm not 100% on this, but I would imagine that since the '07 models have the longer maintenance intervals, you'd have to go by the '06 maintenance intervals with an '06 model or risk voiding your warranty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,065 Posts
cgarrison said:
I'm not 100% on this, but I would imagine that since the '07 models have the longer maintenance intervals, you'd have to go by the '06 maintenance intervals with an '06 model or risk voiding your warranty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
You are correct, you need to follow the 06 intervals on an 06 to keep your warranty valid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
DucSea said:
You are correct, you need to follow the 06 intervals on an 06 to keep your warranty valid
out of curiousity, how far past the 6k can you get the 6k service done and have it under warranty?

Doesn't the 07 extend it to 7500? So, if you were to take your 06 in at 7495, and then 7500 miles later, would that void anything?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,761 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
out of curiousity, how far past the 6k can you get the 6k service done and have it under warranty?

Doesn't the 07 extend it to 7500? So, if you were to take your 06 in at 7495, and then 7500 miles later, would that void anything?
it would really depend on the failure. if you have a failure that could possibly attributed to you delaying your valve adjustment, it's within ducati's right to deny a warranty claim.

if it was something electrical it would be unlikely they could attribute that to a missed or delayed service.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
slowpoke13 said:
out of curiousity, how far past the 6k can you get the 6k service done and have it under warranty?

Doesn't the 07 extend it to 7500? So, if you were to take your 06 in at 7495, and then 7500 miles later, would that void anything?
Probably depends on the mechanic and how much he'll work with you if there's a warranty claim.

AFAIK, the only feature (other than never changing the oil) of the '06 bike that might impact a warranty claim by extending the intervals is a cambelt failure -- 2-yrs or 12,000 miles. Other than that, rest seems to be either wear and tear that'll show symptoms but not stop the bike (like valve guides) or failure (of a part) that's unrelated to mileage (like TPS or ECU).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
well, regardless of warranty claims, there must be something else to it.


I mean, extending the maintenence intervals by 25% does not reduce the cost by 50%
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
124 Posts
That all sounds good but I still think its a valid question that hasn't been answered. Just adding 1500 miles on to the service cant possible add up to 50% cost saving. And I think just the posts from 695 owners kind of make it seem like the clam of 50% cost savings is not very close. I think Ducati needs to give more details of this claim !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cbm900 said:
That all sounds good but I still think its a valid question that hasn't been answered. Just adding 1500 miles on to the service cant possible add up to 50% cost saving. And I think just the posts from 695 owners kind of make it seem like the clam of 50% cost savings is not very close. I think Ducati needs to give more details of this claim !
+1
[thumbsup]
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top