Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone encountered difficulties installing Quat-D mid-pipes or full shotgun system (bcs the system includes the midpipes) on an S2R800?

In my case, the righthand bracket just will NOT align with the hole it's supposed to go into. It's about 1/4 - 1/2 inch too low. The pipes took some serious persuasion (rubber mallet) to fit into the stock header/manifold stubbies, and then to align the left bracket (well, I was trying to align both, but the right stopped budging at some point).

I am actually mid-installation right now (took a break to watch Michigan-Iowa). I have given up trying to align the d**n thing for the day (I want to get out and ride at least for a bit), maybe I'll try removing and reinstalling tomorrow. I just hope that my stock cans will fit onto the midpipes despite the 1/4 inch misalignment at the bracket.

Any sage words of advice from someone who has gone through this?

Oh, one more thing. My repair manual, and another poster, both mentioned that there is a flat seal between the front cylinder engine block and the stubby header/manifold pipe. I took this pipe off to get the cat off and to get the midpipes on, and didn't notice any seal. There were donut gaskets where the header stubbies (from both pots) met with the cat pipes, but no flat seal at the engine block. Did I somehow miss it? Did Ducati forget to put one into my bike? Or does the S2R800 not have a seal there, relying instead on the tip of the header stubby pipe to act as a seal?

I also just noticed that the most shiny part of my bike is now at its bottom. 8)

Ride safe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some more trying, I got the bracket to within 1/4" of the bolt hole, and that's as far as it's going to go. Luckily, I was able to get the stock cans on without any problems.

I intend to leave this as is for the time being. Can anyone think of any reason NOT to have only one bracket of the midpipe fastened to my frame? The cat was heavier than the midpipes, and it was attached with two plastic/rubber brackets that are much more flimsy than even one metal bolt fastened securely.

Since I'll have to take the system down and reinstall it anyway sometime soon (I have exhaust leaks at every junction....I'm getting that Wurth exhaust seal goo and will then do the repeated retightening thing), I'll give it another shot, but I'm not overly hopeful.

And I think I answered my own question regarding the port/header gasket. I haven't confirmed this on my bike bcs everything is put together, but apparently these gaskets often get jammed up against the engine block and stay stuck there after you remove the stubby header pipe. I'm going to pick up a new one and replace it when I apply the goo.

FINAL IMPRESSIONS ON QUAT-D: if I were to do this over again, I would get the Desmoworld midpipe rather than the Quat-D. I only went with Quat-D because I wanted Quat-D slipons and liked the idea of having the full exhaust made by one manufacturer. But the fitment issues were a real PITA (not to mention the Italian instructions, which were icing on the cake). In fact, I am now rethinking my decision to go with Quat-D for slipons as well.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Rallye said:
I intend to leave this as is for the time being. Can anyone think of any reason NOT to have only one bracket of the midpipe fastened to my frame? The cat was heavier than the midpipes, and it was attached with two plastic/rubber brackets that are much more flimsy than even one metal bolt fastened securely.
I don't know about the Quad-D, but my Desmoworld mid-pipe re-used one of the stock brackets w/ the rubber/plastic inserts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts