Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the forums but could not find what I was looking for.

I'm looking at used M900's (1997+) and was wondering what kind of quarter-mile times the magazine riders/testers have made. I'm not looking to drag-race the bike, I just want to compare it to other bikes that I own (have owned).

Also, if anyone can point me to magazine reviews that would be very useful. Motorcyclist, Cycle World, etc.

If this has already been discussed then I apologize but please point me to those threads.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this for a 97 M900 on motorcycle.com:

Fast time on the Monster was an 11.97 second, 109 mph 1/4 mile blast. We only managed 12 runs before clutch meltdown.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I found this for a 97 M900 on motorcycle.com:

Fast time on the Monster was an 11.97 second, 109 mph 1/4 mile blast. We only managed 12 runs before clutch meltdown.
as u can see from the number of responses for this question.. no one on the list gives a damn about quarter mile times on a monster :). if that is really the criteria for u to decide on the bike... you are looking at the wrong bike :). just IMHO.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as u can see from the number of responses for this question.. no one on the list gives a damn about quarter mile times on a monster :). if that is really the criteria for u to decide on the bike... you are looking at the wrong bike :). just IMHO.
I don't really think its a bad question. The Ducati myth tend to blow the bikes out of proportion. Its always nice to know what the real power is compared to what your use to. While I am not impressed with my S4R top speed wise. I find it to be one of the most fun sub 100 mph bikes I ever owned. It lets me customize it easily with hundreds of options. Yet is still track worthy. So I makes different parts of my bike brain happy. And around town I still find it scooter like friendly to ride. A Scooter that throttle wheelies in the first 2 gears. ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Atatinen you are starting to sound like Rolfo. Maybe that what he is into. To each his own. Maybe not that many people cared to comment on it? I personally don't care how fast my bike is in the quarter. blah blah blah.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
atatinen,

If you were standing in front of me I'd teach you some manners you little pr*ck.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, I think a bike's acceleration is one of the criteria most of us use for choosing a motorcycle. There are, of course, other criteria. You know, if an M900 couldn't accelerate any better than a 750 NightHawk, very few people would want it. All I wanted was some basic M900 info from the people who know - you guys. I didn't expect a flood of replies. Maybe atatinen gets a host of replies to each of hist posts and that makes him feel important. Don't know. Don't feel like looking at his posts. I may be a "newbie" to this forum but I've owned 29 bikes (cruisers, standards, sports). I currently have an 03 MG LeMans, an 01 VFR800, and an 01 CBR929RR. All I wanted to know was where the Duc sits with these bikes. I was thinking about replacing the VFR800 (my commuter) with an M900.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Sorry to say, a 750 nighthawk would embarass, spank , and leave for dead an M900 in a straight line. It also costs nothing to own, and is disposable! A well tuned 600 will bury me, and allegedly my bike goes well in the quarter mile. My bike is a tractor for torque, however, and pulls like a train from 3K.

In terms of "commuter bike", that is a different issue. Due to maintenance costs and frequency, if you put miles on the bike I would avoid a monster or any Duc, unless you do the work yourself/are rich/or enjoy going to the Duc dealer a lot. In addition, if you like a really nice lookiing ride (I do), the monster takes hours to keep detailed. The little nooks, crannies, exposed metal takes a long time to clean. Not good for getting caught in the rain. Oh- the carbon fiber will rot in the UV rays as well.

It's great to compare, nuthin wrong with discussing facts or opionions. The Ducati is a more emotional decision than most rides!

Rideon

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The Monster accelerates differently from most 4-cylinder bikes.

When you grab the throttle it starts moving right now, even if you're down in the 3-4000 rpm range. The typical 4-cylinder bike has to be up in the powerband to really start moving. A bike with a better quarter mile time still might not be as responsive as a Monster during normal riding.

Personally, I've found the M900 Monster to just be more fun than any other bike I've ridden (including my current ST2). If you're one of those who has to have "the fastest" bike around, you don't want a Ducati. If you want one that's more fun to ride, get a Monster.

I'm already trying to figure out how to convince my wife that I need another Monster. 8)

·
Registered
248 Posts
atatinen,

If you were standing in front of me I'd teach you some manners you little pr*ck. The anonymity of the internet allows gutless little boys (girls?) like you to say things they would never say to my face. And you can't read either. I said that I didn't want to drag-race the bike. I just want to compare its acceleration to other bikes I've owned.

Every forum has its little weasels. I guess that's you on this forum. You may be right about one thing: I may not want an M900 if all the riders are like you. But you probably don't even own a bike do you? What a worm.
I apologise if I was being rude.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao,
Anil, I saw many smilies in Your post.

Anyway, being so rude to the newbie, it was good that You apologizied.... ;D

Skier

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ciao,
Anil, I saw many smilies in Your post.

Anyway, being so rude to the newbie, it was good that You apologizied.... ;D

Skier
Thanks Skier. I guess I got a lil too carried away havin fun bustin. But when I put a smiley I do genuinely smile. I thank everyone and even rktman for remindin me i was being insensitive. :)

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
i don't think you were totally out of line... maybe a little hash, but these kinds of questions kind of get to me too.

When you compare a ducati to pretty much anything else, it's going to fall short in just about any single category... and i suppose this means it kind of falls short in all... but that's not why anybody buys a ducati. If are buying a duc, you;re buying it because you wanted a duc, not because you wanted the fastest/best handling bike in the world (if you wanted the best looking...it's the duc ;D)

Maybe i'm just talking out my ass. I'm still a little bit twisted from fri. night.

Back to bed 8)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks Skier. I guess I got a lil too carried away havin fun bustin. But when I put a smiley I do genuinely smile. I thank everyone and even rktman for remindin me i was being insensitive. :)
I meant that rktman's comment was out of line, not yours atatinen.
I think its stupid to threaten physical violence on a computer forum. I mean are you really gonna fly to somebody's home town to have a fist fight over something they typed on the internet about a motorbike?
Silly :(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Average for 3 runs.

With my fat and sorry ass on the thing and my inablitity to launch without the front wheel pointing towards the north star.

Lotsa fun, lotsa clutch abuse.

Then again, I really don't care.

The Gixxer and Busa will slap me on the straits.
The Gold wing and Road king will better serve my Butt for long hauls.

My Monster "Sophie" does what she does, and every now and then surprises me with better than what she is supposedly capable of.

Pity those who languish in the realm of numbers.
They are cheating themselves.

Besides.
There are no numbers for smiles created when tourists scurry out of the way at the bark of Desmo exhaust, or numbers for the "Feels right" time spent just looking at the beast and reflecting on the miles shared.

Monsters are what they are.
So are the sickos that end up married(Willing slaves?) to them.

I get the feeling that I'm gonna be the old bald guy that the young punks giggle at in 2034 for being crotchety,grumpy and still sneering

·
Registered
599 Posts
Oh christ....... Again with a thread that included posts of macho egotism and petty threats. Okay, let's lay it down. This is a great forum. One of the many reasons is because threads usually DONT turn into these kinds of things. Let's remember that we're all riders here and we should share that bond. Let's keep this forum going like it has been for the past several years. To everyone who stuck to the subject and was kind enough to share there bike knowledge, I thank you. You guys are the reason I love this forum. Hope I didn't offend anybody in my little rant.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
"Arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics.
Even if you win, you're still retarded."
;)
sorry about the un-pc-ness of that but it seemed appropriate as of late.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I thought it was funny...

I also think that its important to keep in mind when reading forums like this (or your email for that matter) that people can't convey things like tone of voice, or facial expressions (smileys are a poor substitute). Therefore, the meaning can be lost, or misinterpreted at nobodies fault.
If somebody says something that makes you mad, and nobody else, you might be missing something...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts