Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Quality, less expensive rearsets

17K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Jmr17320 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm mainly looking to get rid of my passenger pegs and that huge thing mounting them. Now, I saw the Sato, Rizoma, Ducabike rearsets which do exactly that.

However, it's like with levers, three pieces of CNCed aluminium cost a couple of hundred dollars. I think they are very overpriced and as many stated regarding the levers, the three pieces CNCed in China for 20 USD work just fine.

Is there a similar less expensive alternative for rearsets? Couldn't straight away find any on ebay for the Monsters.

I have a 796.

#3 ·
You don't mention what bike you want them for.

As much as I wish my Sato had only been $200, they were certainly worn the money I paid. Tons of machine work, great anodizing, lots of sealed ball bearings. They were much smoother than factory.

For the M600 I was able to purchase a rather plain non adjustable set from ebay UK. A few years ago they were $150 shipped. They were nice for the money, but again they offered no adjustments.

#4 ·
You don't mention what bike you want them for.
Ooops, for a Monster 796 2012.

Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate the amazing details and work on a Sato or Rizoma etc. If anybody wants to get rid off a used set, please let me know :) Just not for north of 400 USD.

S2r or s4r rearsets do just that
That's very interesting. You say any s2r/s4r/1100 evo fit a 796 2012? Guess there should be a couple of used stock rearsets out there. Do they come with a heel guard? I heard there might be a problem that I melt my boots on the exhaust without.

I have some black or silver if you like
Do you mean you have a spare set in black? How much would it be?

#7 ·
Yes, i have two spare sets. You would need to reuse your shift lever and rear brake cylinder, but that would be all. Mine is an m1100 pictured. I know it will fit the 1100 evo but never tried a 796, still SSA so should be no issue. I can help with the spacer as well. I will follow up more just PM me if you are interested and i can provide more details or help with the swap. Sorry no adjustment. They sit just like stock peg position, no more no less. I do have heel guards but not sure if they are carbon or aluminum as came with them. You wont melt these on exhausts.

#9 ·
Hey Zippsub9. Do you have a set of 1100 evo rear sets floating around that you aren't using? I'm in the same boat with looking to ditch the stock 2013 Monster 796 ABS rear sets. Let me now if you have anything available and how much. CO O.C.D., did you complete this install? I'd love to hear how challenging it was and see some pics.
Thanks,
Brian

#10 ·
Brian,
PM sent. I do, but they are not cheap. I couldn't find them new at the time and they are rare. If you have to have them i may part with them, but planned on swapping out my s4r rearsets pictured above. I am not quite done retrofitting an exhaust system yet. The s4r set pictured above would be much more cost effective, be in the same peg position and provide all the same functionality on your 796. Yes, they will bolt right up to your bike. There are threads on here and i have a list of instructions if you are interested.

#11 ·
everything for ducati's cost more, brand names without a doubt are higher quality are overpriced for sure. a cadillac in the early days used the same chevy starter with a different part # at three times the cost!! prolly lots of good parts fit other bikes but which ones are valuable info for sure

#12 · (Edited)
The difference is GM makes both. Audi doesn't make a generic Ducati alternative, they just own the company. Expensive, yes, overpriced perhaps not in the eyes of the guy who does all the R&D to develop the parts and writes the CNC program. When you only sell a couple hundred units a year at best then the cost per unit is high. Corvettes are a dime a dozen at over sixty some thousand produced in a model year shared across numerous years equals large market. Audi produces far fewer R8s that don't share a large generation interchangeability.

Finding out the interchangeability is the key as you mention, with a name like rodhotter, i am sure you have done this numerous times. Monsters are my ratrod.

#13 ·
owning a 2001 TT 225Q roadster + a traded 01 jetta 1.8T after various american sporty cars i read a lot about all cars + bikes being retired. lots ow interest in VW group cars of which porsche is one. it was said about $25,000 profit comes from the sale of ONE model i don't remember, for sure its a top $$ model. high end products bring high $$$. a plumbling wholesaler said once i make more profit on one set of $300 faucets compared to 20 sets of $30 faucets, thats just how it is in the higher $$$ market!!

#15 ·
Finally I got the plate for the rear brake reservoire and finished this fun little project! Totally loving the result!!!!

A million thanks go to zippsubs who not only did an awesome job on the rearsets but also gave me tons of instructions and help!!!!

For anyone out there with equally limited screwdriver skills: let me tell you this is just the right level of difficulty. Not trivial, so you actually feel great that your bike is not in bits afterwards. But totally doable even for an IT geek with two left hands that I have :D I'm also more than happy to share my experience hands on with anyone in the SF bay area.

Cheers,
Alex

PS: Sorry for the bad pictures - but I don't have an account to store pics externally (Dear admins, this really s**** in the year 2014)

Attachments

#16 ·
Alex, thanks for the shout out. It looks great in the photos and I am stoked you worked through the process. That is all you and no special tools were needed. I have few more sets (sorry, I only do matte black for high wear items) if anyone else wishes to finally put to rest the ungodly chicken wing passenger pegs. You know your ol' lady doesn't want to ride with you anyway....

#18 ·
Is your braided line to the caliper really tight now? I did this conversion and my line is really tight.

I have a new reservoir and bracket coming from Ducati and apparently it is taking forever. Looks great!

Quick question on the rear reservoir bracket. Did you use the stock screw and then add a nut? I am planning ahead to mount mine to this new bracket and don't know.

Thanks.
Jon

#19 ·
Is your braided line to the caliper really tight now? I did this conversion and my line is really tight.
Yes, it is tight indeed. I took the break line off the caliper and turned the fitting pointing down and back. That worked well.

I have a new reservoir and bracket coming from Ducati and apparently it is taking forever. Looks great!
Thanks! :) Yes, mine took about two weeks as well to arrive.

Did you use the stock screw and then add a nut?
The bracket has a nut already fixed to it to hold the reservoire, same stock screw.

Cheers,
Alex

Attachments

#20 ·
And you are awesome. Just had a few last issues to deal with.

I made a mistake and ordered Diavel mirrors with my "other" parts and I am on 3 weeks. Mirrors should be in next Friday.

So, a month for it all when I could have had the "other" parts last week, lol.

Such is life. I already made a bracket, lol. Just need the OEM goodness.

Thanks for the info. I was waiting to move/bleed when the new reservoir comes.

#23 ·
Reviving an old thread, yes I am. I searched everywhere for my questions and found nothing. I messaged members and ran into dead ends. So I am going to ad my experience in hopes it helps someone deleting the passenger pegs by installing S2R/S4R rear sets.

1. Do this in a rear stand. I almost dropped the bike when I loosened the left side

2. Right side - you need the complete right side. Get the brake lever, spring, and brake switch. You can use your brake switch but you need the nut that will hold the switch to the brake lever.

3. Left side - you will need the 1/4” thick spacer to install in the lower rear most hole. You will also need the longer bolt from the S2R/S4R. This side is the easiest to install.

4. Rear brake - I ran the brake line under the swing arm, up by header and then to the M/C. I did fab a small bracket to raise the reservoir. I removed approx 1” of rubber hose to reservoir (your results may vary based on bracket size).

here are my pics
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system Fuel tank
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.