Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long-time lurker close to pulling the trigger on a new 800sie. It will be my first street bike, moving up from a Vespa and a Yamaha WR250. Would like your advice concerning three initial purchases:

Frame sliders: Looking at the Cycle Cats. They do not specifically list a product for the M800. Does anybody have any feedback on these?

Steering Damper: I have a Scotts on my WR and it is a great product. Would like to have one on a Monster too, but they do not list a product for recent Monsters. Anybody adapted one for a post-2001 Monster?

Seat: Wife loves to ride around town on the back of the Vespa. At the DC Bike show she tried the pillion on the M620 and then promptly made a beeline for the BMW RS1150. Good choice, but I do not want a bike that heavy at this time. Has anybody taken an aftermarket seat and done any custom big rear seat? (disregarding any consideration for ever using the rear seat cowling) She is 5' 6" ~ 125lb, so it really doesn't need to be that big, perhaps just unconstrained by the requirement of having to fit under a cowling. I think it a matter of confidence more than comfort. Most of the riding will be around town with brief (50 miles or so) sprints on the highway. Although I can see her with a 620 later, I need to get her comfortable with the M800, riding together is an important part of the fun we have riding.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Hey battlecry, I have an '03 M800 myself, so I thought I'd comment...

As far as I know, CycleCat makes most of their products for the entire Monster lineup. I have a set of frame sliders and like them a lot. I can't speak from experience about the rest of their products, but their fit and finish is generally excellent from what I hear on here.

I also have been looking at steering dampers and am thinking about the Matris one. It seems to be a decent price and is mounted on top of the triple clamp, I can't stand the side mount ones, so right up my alley.

One of the very first mods I did to my bike was get a custom Corbin seat. At the same time, I made sure that they scooped out a better passenger area. They didn't change the size too much, but they changed the shape to be very comfortable. It's so comfortable in fact, that a number of people have told me it's the most comfortable rear seat they've ever sat on on a sport bike.

Good luck!

D

·
0 Posts
I have the cyclecat frame sliders. I originally purchased them for their functionality, but while waiting to crash test them ;D I have begun to really like the looks of them.

Granted, they are ugly and awkward, but they add to the whole naked, adrenaline juiced, only-one-wheel-required image.

If you do a search, there have been some post from members who have crash tested them.

Chris

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yo battlecry, as to the seat issue I got a Triboseat cover that covers the pillion section of the stock seat with a grippy mesh.
It help in wife a$$ retention and also prevents her from sliding into me if I grab a handful of

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys are great. Thanks for the suggestions. Can't wait to get the bike.

S

·
0 Posts
The best about Corbin is that if you want, they will make you a custom, I mean custom set to fit your butt !!! If anyone is down near the San Fran area visiting, shoot me up a line. I'll take you down to Corbin and you can watch as they make your seat, fit it to your butt, then let you try it there !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts