Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like more than before, when I start up the Monster for the first time, it will fire up and run immediately, but only on one cylinder. After about 15 seconds of running, the other cylinder joins in. Only does this on "cold" starts, regardless of whether it's really cold or warm outside.

So the other day, I fired it up and grabbed the headers to see which cylinder was the culprit. Front cylinder didn't light up for about 15-20 seconds.

Then, this afternoon I checked the plug on the front cylinder (too lazy to lift the tank and look at the other one). It looked fine, ranging from light gray on one side to near white on the other, but no blistering, or other signs of over heating the ceramic tip. Fired up the bike and grabbed the headers. This time it was running on the front cylinder for about 15 seconds before the vert cylinder chimed in.

If it were one or the other consistently, it would be fairly easy to trouble shoot the ignition and then the carbs. But now I'm stumped. I guess I'll keep checking every time it starts on one cylinder and see if there is a tendency for one to do it more than the other. Or maybe throw a set of Dyna Coils at it ;D

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
It's probably just a cold weather thing... The Monster has some long intake manifolds and when they're cold atomized fuel from the carbs tends to condense on the manifilds before it gets a chance to get into the cylinder.

The bike is probably starting randomly on whichever cylinder gets enough gas to fire first and then the other finally gets enough to fire or gets warmed by the other cylinder enough that the fuel isn't condensing as much.

Borrow a heated garage or another heated space (or pre heat the engine with a hair drier or a halogen light) and see if the problem persistes. If it starts fine when it's warm, I wouldn't throw too much troubleshooting effort at it.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have one of those little square plug in heaters that my wife bought to keep the bathroom warm during her hot baths. I think it may find its way down to the garage to help out with early morning startups.
How long till ya think she notices? ;D

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't seem to be cold weather related. Down here in sunny FL it's been pretty warm lately (low 80s) and I still have gotten the one cylinder routine. Once the engine has run, it's fine for the rest of the day. It happens when using the choke and when starting up cold without the choke, too. (The bike will start cold with or without the choke. It's usually a little easier using some choke at first)

That's why I'm so puzzled. It hasn't correlated to any conditions other than the engine hasn't been started yet that day. Weird.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My bike does the same thing, and i have FCR's (no choke).. but only in really cold mornings. After reving it up a bit it starts to fire on both again... it feels like one of the cyl floods at startup.

-mike

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
My 1997 M900 used to run on one cylinder if it had sat for more than a week with the temperature below 40 degrees. I was always relieved when the other cylinder kicked in and the rpms would rise to 3000 (at which point I would adjust it back down to 2000 with the choke). If I so much as touched the throttle before the rpms rose, it would kill the engine.

My own solution to that was to not let the bike sit for a whole week plus waiting for afternoon when it's warmer before starting it.

I don't have enough experience with my current 944cc fuel injected engine to know if it has starting issues as well.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I used to have a Buick that did that....

Sorry, that probably didn't help much.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Mark1305,

It may be warm and sunny in Florida, but it's also humid and possibly salty too if you live near the water.

I wager you've got some fuzzy connectors in your ignition system. Try unplugging and replugging all of the connectors associated with the ignition a couple of times, that'll scrub the contacts and your problem may go away.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
First change the plug, could be fouling. Then check all connections at coils, spark plug wires, then try swapping the coils. That should isolate problem.

O

·
0 Posts
good reason to get the dyna coil kit from chris.. when intsalling them , do the troule shooting then.. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts