Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im unimpressed.. the sound is SO muffled. I know thats the point but sheesh.. also, handling seems to have suffered a bit. perhaps its the lead weight mufflers i just put back on the right side. am i just looking for excuses to take them off again? or has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I don't think I could ever put them back on. The sound without is awesome. The weight loss is significant. Get me a 14t sprocket and the S2R is golden.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i cant afford a got dang thing right now so i was looking for that "broke a** cheap mod" look. And hes right, the sound is great, im sure it would be better with no collector box. My question is, why on earth did they put both of those heavy ass cans on the right side? it looks great, dont get me wrong, i love the look, thats why i put them back on. but you can obviously tell the bike is much less nimble.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was running with no cans and no airbox cover.. it sounded sooo cool. now it sounds like a dust buster on methamphetamines. i shall have to fix this. im not so sure i want to go farking with the cans and coring them however.. maybe if i had a spare set.

anyone selling a spare set of s2r cans?

·
Registered
781 Posts
It sounds pretty good with cored cans. I just like the look of the SSS and tail without the cans covering it up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i did too.. i put a couple little chrome exhaust tips from the "mexize your car" rack at kragen on the udder, which didnt look too terrible, but.. it did look a little terrible.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
ducatizzy said:
coring your cans is the best thing you can do. i did what you describe and bought a second set and later dumped the un-modified ones. once you have cored them you will never go back. you lose about 2-3 lbs as well from them.
Oh Man! Help me out here.. I am trying to sell a new set.. [laugh]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ive done a little looking.. youll probably be happier keeping them. you wont get as much as you might think.

What i cant find, however, is the price on a decent midpipe.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
On my old s4r I cored the cans first and left the cat on. It was louder, but not car alarm loud - not even close. Then I did the spareshack bypass pipe and WOW! - car alarm loud. I thought people were kidding, but I really mean setting alarms off all over. LOL. You end up with an unrestricted 40 mm pipe from the head all the way out. The cat is almost as restrictive as the OEM cans.

If you don't have the $$$ for the bypass, you could take off the cat off, cut it down the weld seam, take it apart and hull it completely out and weld it back together. It would act as a resonator, probably with almost the same flow dynamics as stock, but with NO flow restrictions.

Then airbox top off and voila, 5 or 6 HP if you get the fueling right. That's part of the problem here. If you do open up the exhaust and intake, the fuel will be too lean. One mod will lead to another in this case (addition of PCM).

Leave the airbox stock tough, and just a tune up by the dealer with the mathis(sp) will be enough because the OEM airbox will not allow much of an increase in flow. But the modded cans and cat will give you the please arrest me sound. Loved mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts