Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello 797 owners or those with some Ducati experience. I’m looking into purchasing a 2017 monster 797 from a private party seller but I’ve traditionally preferred to stay away from the first iteration of new models. The bike was purchased new in June/July of 2019 from a Ducati dealer in NM and the guy only rode it 450ish miles before being deployed and sending the bike into garage storage before recently returning and deciding to sell the bike. (I’ve been reassured his roomate/friend started the bike up on a weekly basis but I prefer to assume that he hadn’t)

My questions are:
1. Has anyone noticed any common issues with the 2017 797’s I should be aware of before buying?
2. When going to check the bike out in person, are there any specific issues or components I should check on the 797s or things I should feel for during the ride?
3. What was the cost of your first “break in service”? (I plan to purchase Ducati’s extended warranty and/or do most of my own work on the bike after the first service but I thought it important to take it to Ducati first thing and get it inspected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2017 M797 in July of this year and it only had 75 miles on it. So far everything's just fine - 2500 miles total now. I did the break in service myself and only cost me $75 for oil and filter and another $35 for a Ducati dealer to reset the service light. For the test ride, I suggest making sure rear brake is functional. There was a recall on mine that had to be corrected before I bought the bike. Other than that, it's been good for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate the response! Makes me very excited to finally get it home.

I had my local dealer run the VIN and it does still need the recall repair so I will definitely keep an eye on that during the test ride. I’m also happy to know that it saved that much to do the self service. Are you planning to buy supplies to perform your own Desmo service at the 7.5k mark or planning on giving it to the dealer to handle?

I’m sure this would be very easy to find but does performing your own services affect the Ducati factory warranty at all? Of course I’m sure there are intricacies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think if you get the warranty you'd have to go to your dealer as to not void it. Others may need to chime in on that. For me, I bought the M797 because I wanted a bike that I could work on myself. After my M796, I totally feel like I can do all the work on this. Not sure if I'll buy any Ducati specific tool though. I believe I have enough tools that can get me through all repair jobs.
One thing about the Desmo service - I've found Ducati service logs that looks like they've extended it to 15k instead of the 7.5k miles. I might just follow that as long as the bike doesn't feel like it needs it earlier.
Have fun with your new ride!

·
Registered
27 Posts
BigRed said "I've found Ducati service logs that looks like they've extended it to 15k instead of the 7.5k miles."

I saw the same - but I'm not sure I trust it, could be a misprint. Not sure how they would double the adjustment period and the life of the timing belt without any changes. I'm coming up on the demo service at 7500.

To the OP - I bought mine new, extended warranty, absolutely no issues, I have 5600 mile on it (I have two bikes so mileage is split between the two).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BigRed said "I've found Ducati service logs that looks like they've extended it to 15k instead of the 7.5k miles."

I saw the same - but I'm not sure I trust it, could be a misprint. Not sure how they would double the adjustment period and the life of the timing belt without any changes. I'm coming up on the demo service at 7500.

To the OP - I bought mine new, extended warranty, absolutely no issues, I have 5600 mile on it (I have two bikes so mileage is split between the two).
Appreciate the response! I ended up pulling the trigger last weekend and brought it home with me. Already put 120 miles on it and loving every second. Everything is in perfect shape and have the first service and rear break warranty repair scheduled for next week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts