Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Someone had a tank for sale on Ducatims. I try not to leave the tank full. I gas up when I leave and hopefully its low when I return home. I also use SeaFoam in every tank, hopefully that helps. I haven’t used t4 so it might be good too. Try Motul one time and see if it shifts better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Someone had a tank for sale on Ducatims. I try not to leave the tank full. I gas up when I leave and hopefully its low when I return home. I also use SeaFoam in every tank, hopefully that helps. I haven’t used t4 so it might be good too. Try Motul one time and see if it shifts better.
How much seafoam do you use for a full tank? What else that would cause air bubbles and swelling of the plastic tank?

·
Registered
214 Posts
How much seafoam do you use for a full tank? What else that would cause air bubbles and swelling of the plastic tank?
Ethanol is usually the problem with the plastic tanks. I believe they make a additive that removes ethanol from gas. So glad I live 10 mins away from Browns Oil Service here in Indianapolis. Ethanol free is all I put in my bikes tanks. It actually causes orings to dry out and crack also. I was told a while back not to put it in any of my vintage bikes and then I was reading about the swelling ducati was having with their tanks due to the ethanol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You might want to take a look at the underside of your tank and try to find a date stamp. If it's dated after your bike was made it may have been replaced by Ducati under the recall they had back then over the issue. Unfortunately not as many owners took advantage of it as they could have. So it's probably original. At the time, use of ethanol in gasoline was still illegal in most of Europe. So Ducati wasn't really well informed on the issues it causes. Ethanol free is great if you can find it nearby. So far where I live, 87 octane is the best I've found. The car does great with it, but the Duc doesn't want any part of it.

I had issues with the tank swelling when I first got it. I drained it removed the pump, and let it dry out for a little more than a week or so. It helped significantly. Best thing of course is ride it regularly, sitting is what brings on the worst side effects. As the ethanol and gasoline separate rather quickly since they aren't even compatible chemically in the first place. The undiluted ethanol is what's most dangerous to plastics, seals, etc. Plus gasoline dislikes water. Ethanol loves it, and absorbs it rather quickly causing further issues. A simple stabilizer is a good option. I've tried a few, and so far I prefer the Lucas by far. It's green, in a clear bottle. I use it sparingly, perhaps an extra spoonful if I know I won't be riding much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You might want to take a look at the underside of your tank and try to find a date stamp. If it's dated after your bike was made it may have been replaced by Ducati under the recall they had back then over the issue. Unfortunately not as many owners took advantage of it as they could have. So it's probably original. At the time, use of ethanol in gasoline was still illegal in most of Europe. So Ducati wasn't really well informed on the issues it causes. Ethanol free is great if you can find it nearby. So far where I live, 87 octane is the best I've found. The car does great with it, but the Duc doesn't want any part of it.

I had issues with the tank swelling when I first got it. I drained it removed the pump, and let it dry out for a little more than a week or so. It helped significantly. Best thing of course is ride it regularly, sitting is what brings on the worst side effects. As the ethanol and gasoline separate rather quickly since they aren't even compatible chemically in the first place. The undiluted ethanol is what's most dangerous to plastics, seals, etc. Plus gasoline dislikes water. Ethanol loves it, and absorbs it rather quickly causing further issues. A simple stabilizer is a good option. I've tried a few, and so far I prefer the Lucas by far. It's green, in a clear bottle. I use it sparingly, perhaps an extra spoonful if I know I won't be riding much.
Thank is original and was never replace noted from the seller. Maybe i can get lucky and find another tank and swap it out and do some work on it. never really done stuff like that but if I have 2 tanks, it's worth a try. will try the stabilizer and if it stop it from getting worst. I will try and ride it weekly if not monthly. should be able to go thru a tank in a week or 2.
Did notice some things. the rear sprocket seem to be loose(just a little wiggle) and when I tried to tighten it to spec, it didn't stop. notice it on some kind of bushing so it seem to be normal, just want to confirm. Plan to bleed the rear brake b/c it really soft. and then change out coolant. Might want to bleed the clutch b/c when getting out of first gear sometime I can hear and feel it grind for a sec. Def need to order so stabilizer soon. and will be hunting for spare parts.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Whenever I have to use ethanol I just put enough in to get me to pure gas. A couple of times
my plans changed and ethanol sat in the tank . I watch how the tank bumpers line up with the frame . You’ll see a mis alignment there before you can tell the tank swelled. I’ve had to drain mine and let it shrink once or twice. I think using SeaFoam may help, I always add some.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yeah the tank bumpers are always a dead giveaway. Once it has really swelled to a point, I do think letting it air out is the only way to get it back on track. Even if you manage to switch to ethanol free exclusively, getting it back down to a somewhat normal size is virtually impossible while it's wet with fuel. Additives can help to a point, but nothing miraculous unfortunately. I've mostly given up on it with the original tank. I've got a brand new one I may put on this year. It sure would be nice to find a couple reliable sources of ethanol free close by before I do that though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah the tank bumpers are always a dead giveaway. Once it has really swelled to a point, I do think letting it air out is the only way to get it back on track. Even if you manage to switch to ethanol free exclusively, getting it back down to a somewhat normal size is virtually impossible while it's wet with fuel. Additives can help to a point, but nothing miraculous unfortunately. I've mostly given up on it with the original tank. I've got a brand new one I may put on this year. It sure would be nice to find a couple reliable sources of ethanol free close by before I do that though.
Where did you find the new tank? and will it have similair issue with Ethanol?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Where did you find the new tank? and will it have similair issue with Ethanol?
I got them from Italy after Ducati had a big yard sale a few years ago. And yes, I have no doubt ethanol fuel will totally screw them up.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts