Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing a 07 S4RS, the buyer said he doesn't have the red key or key card on hand and is waiting for relative to mail it later(kinda long story). what are the risk of purchasing a 07 s4rs without a red key or key card? what are some option if I lose my black key? also any pointers for things to look for specific to 07 monster s4rs?

Thank you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I guess for me it would be a matter of the price, mileage, overall condition, and basically my general feelings on how much I like that particular bike as opposed to the waiting for another one to come up for sale. One that would have those vital accessories included.

As always, the immobilizer is the main issue, as well as being able to have extra keys made. There are business that can solve the problem for you for around $600 or so and set you up with a new red key and card, and/or disable the whole system altogether. Or for a few hundred more you could get a Microtec ECU and eliminate those problems and add much greater tunability. If you're into that whole aspect of it. All said and done there would have to be some truly great attributes to the bike, and a very low price in order to for me to pick it up. Jumping from an air cooled 2V to that is a major leap if you're not fully aware of what you're getting into. The type of seller that cannot provide those simple things with the bike is often the same type of person who has not maintained it properly, may have issues with the title, and so on. Honestly the S4RS is just not that hard to find. And realistically it's going to cost a good bit. Whether you pay it up front for a proper fit machine, or in a series of big surprises down the road. Either way, it's going to cost.

As far as the mechanical aspects of the bike. That would have to be another long winded post altogether.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the info Dvy. Just wondering if i didn't get the red key and key card, and lose the black key how difficult or expensive it would be. also how would we make copy of the black key for spare without the red key? I guess it would costly but can go ahead and get a new red key/card. If you have any info on those company that can get a new red key /card i would like to have it on hands just in case. Thanks again.

Yeah for the mechanical aspect i might have to look for some local Ducati support locally in Houston TX.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I ran into that issue when I bought my S4RS. I thought the PO gave me the key card but I didn’t take it out of its little sleeve. It was the warranty card. The following spring I thought I was having an immobilizer problem, that’s when I looked at the card. Of course PO in another state didn’t respond. I did get the red key though.
Why don’t you negotiate to ”hold” $ 500 or $1000 of the agreed upon price until the PO comes up with the card and key. That’s enough to be a pretty good incentive for him, and offset the cost of having to deal with it if things don’t work out.
I wouldn’t buy the bike without the card and both keys without a contingency plan.
However, as you already have found, they may not be as easy to find as Dvy3178 thinks they are. I believe they only made small numbers of them in ‘07 and ‘08.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh great, Thank you . i'll save their info. will prob have to contact them and see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran into that issue when I bought my S4RS. I thought the PO gave me the key card but I didn’t take it out of its little sleeve. It was the warranty card. The following spring I thought I was having an immobilizer problem, that’s when I looked at the card. Of course PO in another state didn’t respond. I did get the red key though.
Why don’t you negotiate to ”hold” $ 500 or $1000 of the agreed upon price until the PO comes up with the card and key. That’s enough to be a pretty good incentive for him, and offset the cost of having to deal with it if things don’t work out.
I wouldn’t buy the bike without the card and both keys without a contingency plan.
However, as you already have found, they may not be as easy to find as Dvy3178 thinks they are. I believe they only made small numbers of them in ‘07 and ‘08.
Duc, that's a good idea. We are discussing that. that's my first plan. second would be making sure if I have to, i'll have a place line up to make dup or replace it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Think this through. You will really regret not getting the card and red key, it will be expensive to replace, so you have to add that cost to the cost of the bike. It will be a pain in the ass to make right, and cost you time and money. The PO CLAIMS he has the card and red key, so putting a premium on their delivery to you shouldn’t be a problem for him IF he’s being honest with you. Before you buy is the time to fix the problem, afterwards you have no leverage at all. It will affect resale value, just as it’s affecting your purchase right now.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I suppose it's all relative. Compared to a 796, 797, or a 1200, it's the Hope diamond. If you're looking for a 74 750GT with original US market saddle and paint, with less than 7% fading... Well...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Most of the ones I’ve seen for sale command well over blue book. A modern classic I guess.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have received some very good advice from some knowledgeable people.
In regards to your question on the bike, I would inspect tank for fit due to known issues using oxygenated fuels. Ask if it’s been replaced and/or what octane fuel they use. Hopefully this will spark a conversation of them strictly using non-oxygenated fuels. That would be a good thing. As an owner of a 2007 since May 2006 I can say that I have enjoyed the bike thoroughly. I have about 34,000 miles on it and I’ve never had an issue. The Testastretta is a fantastic motor and has a bulletproof transmission. Some of it is personal preference. I absolutely love the dry clutch. For me alone that is worth it. I love customizing monsters in general however. And there is plenty of aftermarket goodies available for it. It’s comfortable, looks great, and is plenty fast as well as handles really quite well. For not being a true uncomfortable sport bike, it’s great.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I also have an ‘07 S4RS. It’s my favorite bike, maybe ever. Luckily I live between two pure gas stations so the fuel isn’t as big a deal for me. Horrible gas mileage forces me to use ethanol fuel sometimes but I just put enough in it to get back to a station with pure gas.
My only complaint is stiff front forks but I’ll get that worked out eventually.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for everyone's info. I really appreciated it. I went ahead and finally bought me a S4RS (white/red). It turned out he found the red key and card. Bike has some wear and tear with 12K miles. it will need some TLC. Hopefully i'm mechanically inclined enough to and with the info from online forums. First thing is to check/change fluids, chain, tighten and loose fasteners and give it a wipe down and maybe play with the suspension. Any suggestions on what else to do?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
When were the belts changed last ? I usually change oil if it looks dirty. Mine shifts better with Motul than anything else I’ve tried. Can you find ethanol free fuel ? Run the gas out quick if it might be ethanol, or drain it. You’ll run through it pretty fast anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would buy screen protectors for the upper and lower radiator’s. They are easily punctured and expensive to replace, hard to repair. Replace clutch slave with an Oberon. Makes shifting more solid, easy and easier to find neutral.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. Very nice bike to have. Not a bad ideal at all to check at the fasteners. I notice after a couple of rides I was missing a few. How old are the tires?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Handy app for non-oxy fuel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrats on the purchase. Very nice bike to have. Not a bad ideal at all to check at the fasteners. I notice after a couple of rides I was missing a few. How old are the tires?
Tires are a bit passed half life with a few years and few thousand miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would buy screen protectors for the upper and lower radiator’s. They are easily punctured and expensive to replace, hard to repair. Replace clutch slave with an Oberon. Makes shifting more solid, easy and easier to find neutral.
Not sure which brand this is, it seem like it has one. I am looking for a radiator protector.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When were the belts changed last ? I usually change oil if it looks dirty. Mine shifts better with Motul than anything else I’ve tried. Can you find ethanol free fuel ? Run the gas out quick if it might be ethanol, or drain it. You’ll run through it pretty fast anyway.
Belt was done at 9k. i have used Castrol t4 but will consider Motul. it's a bit of a drive for ethanl free. Tank already have some signs of damage(bubbles and crack in paint) will be look for a replacement tank. if any knows of one please let me know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts