Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the classic dent in the side of my tank from the left bar etc. I have the tools to pull a dent (spot welding puller & filler) but am curious about neutralizing the gas fumes so not to kill myself. Has anyone done this? tips?
cheers,
Brian

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Is your "spot welding puller" one of those guns that attaches a stud then you use a slide hammer on it? That's what my body shop guy used on mine. If you mean a slide hammer that requires you to drill a hole, I'd suggest not doing so. It's not a good idea to put a hole in the tank if you don't have to. I also think that it's illegal to use the tank after a hole is in it w/out getting it pressure tested. My guy used about 35 studs to pull this out...

to yield this...

He was actually able to get the body line back to almost perfect. One coat of mud and one coat of glaze and it was perfect. He's a fu<kin' artist!!! And he's my best friend to boot so I help him out at the shop and he helps me out on my projects all for the cost of materials (which I gat at a discount through him!). Check out my bike in the member bike's...he did all the paint/work on it.

To exacuate all of the fumes I drained the tank and gutted it. I then let it sit outside (protected from the elements, of course) where there was lots of air movement to evaporate the rest of the gas.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I weld a lot of gas tanks. Just wash the inside out with a good cleaner/degreaser & rinse a couple of times. If you are concerned, flow a few psi from your air hose thru the tank while welding. POR-15 sells a nice kit that comes with a cleaner, an etcher (to remove any tarces of rust), & a coating to prevent rust in the future (after the repair is complete). Most tanks can be repaired by doing the stud/pull thing, but some have to be drilled or even slit. Do a good job of shaping & welding & you will have a tank that's better than new.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The guy that did my tank took the cap off and let it sit for a week to let the fumes dissipate. A buddy of mine used to weld on car tanks, he'd just fill them with water.

-R.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts