Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been pulled over for lane splitting or riding in the bicycle lane in Manhatten? Sometimes I use the bicycle lane if I want to make a left turn and there is too much traffic. I don't usually lane split unless I am in VERY heavy traffic because it seems to piss some people off because they think you are cutting in front of them. Just trying to see what I can get away with. [cheeky]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
[laugh]

I'm pretty sure a cop would disagree! Although, I don't know what the law says, maybe there is a loop hole. Of course, if cars could fit down the side there, you know they'd be there in a flash, bicyclists be dammed!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
All depends on what the sign says I would imagine.

If it is a picture of a bike or says bike you are done. If it says "cycle" you might have found your loop hole and cost the city thousands of dollars in sign replacement if you win.

GotDuc

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Got Duc said:
All depends on what the sign says I would imagine.

If it is a picture of a bike or says bike you are done. If it says "cycle" you might have found your loop hole and cost the thousands of dollars in sign replacement if you win.

GotDuc

Oh, man :p I should have put up a wink face.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
jadesportster said:
why even stop for the law? Keep splitting lanes if the pig is in a cage and don't slow down till you reach brooklyn :police: [thumbsup]
Let me know how you make out with that theory! [cheeky]

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Hello Everyone, (Im new to this but had some thoughts)
Manhattan is an interesting place... you can do anything you want as long as you can afford the lawyer. I tend to lane split on the FDR and West Side Highway because they are always backed up if you are trying to get anywhere during the day... or when there is construction. I have never had the police stop me. I get buzzed with a siren every now and again when I pass an unmarked car. They are pretty stuck however. Just ride slowly and alert and if its a marked car hop in line and wait till you can squeeze past him behind the cover of a large van or a truck. Bicycle lanes... never seen anyone get a ticket for that one. Like anything else if you get the ticket get the lawyer. Traffic lawyers are pretty cheap... about 125, and definately cheaper than the insurance hike. Just some thoughts on the matter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts