Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay. Hopefully these are okay. Sorry for the glare, the sun was brutal today. Also, I couldn't find my compact, so I had to take the pics with my Treo.

Anyway, I definitely like the bag. It was worth the wait. I mounted the rear straps to the crossbar for the shock, so they lead out from under the seat. I also knotted the ends of the straps and routed the slack back under the seat. Hopefully the knots will keep slack from pullling out from under the seat.

On the front, I looped the straps through the front part of the frame as others have done. I also looped a zip tie through the loop at the end of the strap and then zipped the strap to the frame. I didn't do this to keep the slack under control. I did it so that someone can't just unloop the straps and take them with them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
that windscreen looks pretty sweet, i'll take a look at getting one of those when it gets a little warmer at night....i think you should get some bar-ends too :)

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, the windscreen is neat. I love how stealthy it looks. It hugs the instruments from the side and top. Also, it doesn't seem like it'd do anything, but that with the bag routes the airstream perfect for me. Used to be that the wind would hit my chest and go up into my helmet, drying the crap outta my contact lenses. Rode with both today and it's much better.

I'm still not hot on the color, though. You can't tell from the pics, but it's more of a blood red, than a bright red, so it clashes a bit. I also don't like that it's translucent. I only like clear or smoked see-through plastic. I believe it can be painted, though, so if I get the CF high pipes, I might paint it black (or sell it and by the faux CF version).

Oh, one other thing, there's quite a gap between the screen and the headlight. If I had my Dremel, I'd cut away just a bit of the screen so that it sits a bit lower. Right now the bottom of the screen hits the blinker stalks keeping me from moving it lower and closer to the headlight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi Island- glad you finally got one- got mine tonight. Like the way you did the back strap! Guess it can swivel onto the seat when you fill up w/ gas. Guess the hooks go through the d-rings, do they come off easily? I'm more used to quick releases.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking today as I was converting the bag into a backpack that the bag was definitely worth the wait. In backpack form it looks pretty darn sharp. It's like getting two bags in one.

The hooks do indeed go through the D-rings. You can cinch them up nice and tight, so I wouldn't worry about them coming loose. It is somewhat disconcerting to see 4 giant metal hooks that close to that lovely Ducati red gas tank, but the leather patches that protect the tank from the hooks are pretty generous. I'm with you, though. I'd much rather have some nice, sturdy plastic quick releases just in case.

I have to say that the windscreen is growing on me. I think it's a keeper. It's funny what a little bit of plastic will do, but my bike feels more stable in turns now. I think it's because of that extra air pushing down on the fork . . . then again, may be it's my imagination!

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update. Love the bag. Definitely recommend it. For the record it will fit over 1 ream of 8.5 x 11 inch paper in it. (Don't ask!) Also, I was surprised to find that my Dell D820 laptop (15.4 inch screen), power cord, and mouse will fit in it. It's a TIGHT fit, but it will do for the few miles that I ride. My only complaint is that I wish there were quick releases instead of hooks. The hooks are definitely not as quick as the plastic buckles.

I kept the screen. It has definitely grown on me, although if I get carbon pipes, I'll probably change it for the faux carbon version.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is that the Puig Rapter Windscreen?? Or is there another model that I haven't found yet? Because yours doesn't look anything like the standard pics I've seen of the Rapter.

I've been looking around for a windscreen with a different look to it and the one you have definately fits the bill. Although I don't think red will look to good on a Dark bike. :)

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BINGO! :D

Great eye. It is a Puig Raptor. Dean at OFD Racing special ordered it for me in red. For the dark you could go with the dark tinted model or the faux carbon fiber. They have those in stock: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,446 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know, I was surprised. That little bit of plastic does make a difference. I'd say up to 70 or 80, there's less buffeting. Also, to me, the front end feels a bit more planted---I assume from the air rushing over the top of the screen.

I love the shape of the screen. I'm totally satisfied in that deparment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts