Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
07 S2R1K

Did a tail chop long ago, pinched a wire and blew a fuse. Easy fix with new fuse and solder. Rode around a few months with no issues then my gauge cluster lights started to flicker on and off. Then someone noticed my running light NOT lit. The cluster works fine and the gas light etc are all working. My initial impression was that my solder job didnt hold and was causing problems. I replaced both the bulb and fuses to no avail so i gave up.

I rode like that until recently when i decided to go LED. I installed the vizi-tec and it completely replaced the rear portion of my stock wiring harness. This is the portion of the harness that i originally pinched. I expected to clear up any wiring problems when i did this, but now i have nothing in the back. No blinkers, brake, or running light.

Ive read many threads with similar problems and have checked the fuses. Im stumped and in need of direction. I have a multimeter but dont even know where to begin to start checking things or if there are common problem areas on the harness. Maybe there is something faulty at the cluster?

Does anyone know a good place to start tracking this down? My Headlight and front blinkers work. The blinkers seem to be flashing at a faster rate than before the vizi-tec was installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No resistors needed with the SupaNovaHSi, plug and play.... I should Clarify that my gauge cluster lights are also not working. Related maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
No resistors needed with the SupaNovaHSi, plug and play.... I should Clarify that my gauge cluster lights are also not working. Related maybe?
Not according to Bernard at Visitec, I was planning to remove my resistors when I fitted my supernova, he told me that the unit does not provide resistors for LED's. The faster blink rate you have reported seems to confirm this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Interesting... Hmmmm, I have the newer HSi model, not the 490i. And the rear blinkers are integrated. That is if i could get it to power up.... Are you referring to the HSi or 490i?

Im gonna try to measure some things with a multimeter on saturday. Not sure what i am looking for yet. I know what the rear plug on the harness should be providing so ill start there. Any other checks i can perform with a multimeter?

Thanks for the input guys. I just had the 6k service and my bike is running awesome but this is preventing me from riding. GRRR!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The blink rate isnt bothering me that much, i can live with it. But i have no power at all to the tail light. Is this because i dont have the ten ohm resistors? I should still see it lit up even without resistors right?

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
refer to the HSI, without the integrated indicators.

The indicators are controlled from the instrument circuit board, acircuit on this board looks at the current draw and via a comparator circuit determines one of two flash rates, normal when the current draw is above the comparator threshold and fast when below. This is a design feature and provides an indicatiion of bulb failure, required by law in many countries. Late model Ducati's provide a means to alter this threshold to cater for the fitment of aftermarket indicators. For the rest of us, resistors in parallel with the LED's are required.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
YES CHUPA thank you, this is starting to make sense. I found out with a multimeter that i was not gettting voltage down the running light wire. My bike has normal operation now, except for the right signals. Stock signals in front and an integrated in back. Maybe "bulb failure" in my right front signal is causing this. Could it be that easy!!! We will find out tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts