Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 2010 696 (I am second owner, 2500 miles on it).

I didn't notice it on the test ride but after writing the check and putting 200 miles on it, I am fairly certain there is something amiss with the front brakes and it isn't just me getting used to the bike.

Not trying to lead anyone's answer, but I would describe the sensation as having a warped rotor. Coming to a stop there is rapidly intermittent braking force that can actually shake me (the rider) a good bit.

Anyone experience this with any bike? Or any sort of common issue with the 696?

I know a good bit about cars, and a little about bikes - but tend to lack the space, time, tools, and patience to do many repairs myself beyond oil and filters. So I'll understand the answer but might not fix it myself!

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that is a good answer, but I don't have ABS. And the pulsating is not nearly fast enough. It's more like if you're in the car and your dad is trying to be funny by tapping the brakes as fast as he could with a human foot. Assuming your dad is human...

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
could be a warped rotor, but you might try cleaning off the front brakes first.
they make a tool specifically for the job that attaches to a drill, or you can use a scotchbrite pad in circles to get off any brake material on the rotor

jeff h
monsterparts.com

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Clean the rotors, clean the pads, and if it's still there, you probably have warped or hot spotted rotor(s). You can buy them fairly cheap on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Assuming your dad is human...
Mwehehehheh...anyway, a shot to the moon...how 'bout checking your front tire's air pressure. That could be the culprit. It could sway you like a pendulum when braking. Less than 20psi(i think)on a full tank, and you're in for a spongy ride :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had the same issue on my 1100. I started noticing a pulsation around 2000 miles. I looked closely at the wear on the rotors themselves, and sure enough - I had a warped rotor. You could tell because there was an area where the factory "crosshatch" was still there on the outside edge of one side of the rotor and the opposite edge on the inside.

I took pictures, emailed them to my dealer, and got it covered under warranty. No big deal!

I can tell you though - it won't get better on it's own.

So check the wear patterns on the rotors.

·
Registered
215 Posts
if the rotor's bent where you can't telling by looking. here's a way to find out which rotor is bent, if their bent.

-take 1 caliper off one side only.

-slide a 5 or 6mm allen wrench between the pads in the caliper. when squeezing the front brake, this keeps the space opened up for reinstall.

-zip tie the removed caliper to the fork leg

-go for a slow ride around your neighborhood or down the street and apply the brakes. hopefully only one will pulse when the brakes are applied.

-if this didn't work. reinstall the removed caliper and then try the other side.

*BE SURE WHEN YOU REINSTALL THE CALIPERS, YOU SLOWLY PUMP THE BRAKE LEVER TO ENSURE IT'S PROPERLY ADJUSTED BEFORE RIDING

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses! Ended up having it checked out by the professionals before I had time to do it myself. Sure enough, warped rotor. They hesitated briefly on the warranty claim, having to check with a service rep, but came through on it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm approaching 2000 miles on my 696 and I just started noticing the same thing. I'm going to check the runout today, assuming the front kit for my stand actually works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts