Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meh.. I dunno if I'd consider them SoCal anymore but any of you guys had any experience w/ PI Santa Barbara? They've had my bike for a month now since I got in a minor accident and have the had the OK to work on the bike for more than 3 weeks and still said they were waiting on parts when I called them... :mad:

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
erkishhorde said:
Meh.. I dunno if I'd consider them SoCal anymore but any of you guys had any experience w/ PI Santa Barbara? They've had my bike for a month now since I got in a minor accident and have the had the OK to work on the bike for more than 3 weeks and still said they were waiting on parts when I called them... :mad:
they're still socal. i think a few guys on here have had experience with 'em.

if the accident was that minor, go pick it up so you can ride and tell 'em to call ya when they're ready.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wish I could. I'm at Cal Poly (SLO) and have no other form of transportation. The only important parts being replaced are the shift pin and shift lever. Everything else is cosmetic. :( The only reason I sent my bike there was because they came out to pick it up for me which helped a lot since the bike was stuck in 4th gear after the accident.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Which holding company owns Del Amo and P I ?

???

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
erkishhorde said:
Like any dealer really hit or miss! Your lucky they even came out to help, most folks don't even get the time of day if they stop by the shop.

BTW I went to CalPoly for Materials Engineering, not a bad place.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
gm2 said:
welcome to my world.
yeah, mine too.

i was waiting on rockers from pro italia glendale for 5-6 weeks. i guess shipments from italy are taking a while...

·
Registered
911 Posts
I was at Willow Springs last Friday and met a guy named Dan who is a co-owner of Santa Barbara PI. However it is no longer PI. They bought out PI's interest and it is now called Ducati of Santa Barbara.

He stated that the partnership wasn't working and there was a lot of negative baggage they inherited by using the PI name.

My undergrad is in Finance from Cal Poly Pomona. It's just like SLO except for the lower academic rankings and a crappy location!!!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Don't know about SB PI, but I've had work done at the PI in Glendale and the service was decent. They had my bike for one week and the service was good. [thumbsup] How many other ppl on this board go to Calpoly??? I just graduated from there (Calpoly Pomona), studied Env. Biology/Biochem. I actually like the location though. Its nicely wedged in between all the freeways and urban sprawl...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
IRCC, the owner of SB Ducati (not PI faction) had a shop on a side street off State for many years. He had a Ducati dealership in SB many years ago. I can't think of his name at the moment but that's not the point. He knows Ducatis but I believe he's a bit slippery. None of the SBDUC guys took their bikes to him for fear he'd pirate a part from their bike to get another bike to a customer who'd been waiting. And so the downward spiral began.

These are just recalections and I'm not sure he's even part of it anymore. His name is on the tip of my tounge. If you give me a few names I will be able to recall.

Just popped into my head! Trevor.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
GregP said:
IRCC, the owner of SB Ducati (not PI faction) had a shop on a side street off State for many years. He had a Ducati dealership in SB many years ago. I can't think of his name at the moment but that's not the point. He knows Ducatis but I believe he's a bit slippery. None of the SBDUC guys took their bikes to him for fear he'd pirate a part from their bike to get another bike to a customer who'd been waiting. And so the downward spiral began.

These are just recalections and I'm not sure he's even part of it anymore. His name is on the tip of my tounge. If you give me a few names I will be able to recall.

Just popped into my head! Trevor.

Hope this helps.

He's still there and he's the reason I don't go there! Yeah people either think he's great or can't stand him......

Not sure about the slipperness of the parts swapping whole situation but you could always pulse the sbduc guys.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The guys at SB Ducati will make a trip out to SLO or the surrounding area to pick up bikes for about $50. If there's more than 1 bike that needs to be dropped off/ picked up then the price goes down. I called them again today and they finally said they're waiting on the carbon heel guards (Before they wouldn't tell me what part they were waiting on). My only guess at why it's taking this long is that since my bike is 11 years old there aren't any parts in stock and they had to make them from scratch. Either that or the guys at the shop are just dragging their asses. With that said, they finally offered to put together everything they've got and give me the bike back and call me when they get the last part in so they can either send it to me or I can drop by and have them put it on. Yay! I may actually get to run the 58 once before I go home for winter break!

Oh yeah, forgot to say thank you. Thanks for all the input guys! We'll see if I give them anymore business. It wasn't really my choice. The insurance company insisted I get a shop to look at my bike after the accident and I heard the SB guys would come out and pick up my bike. They're the closest dealer to the central coast and riding the bike while stuck in 4th gear wasn't really an option. Time will tell. I did learn that the previous owner put a Pro-Italia clutch slave on the bike since the guy that came to pick up the bike recognized the PI on it while loading the bike up. ::)

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Oh, really now....... ::)

Were they able to locate the valve stem caps ?
Hope so.....

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
With all kidding aside, I hope it all works out for you very quickly.

However, you do know that CF heel guards are extemely rare and have become cherished works of Italian Art; just ask Luca. These old, vintage, collector bikes can really set you searching for that rare, almost extinct, accessory or much needed part. It is so demanding on these professional Dealers, I just do not know how they cope with the stress and strain of it all.

So glad that you are experiencing progress with this trying situation.

[thumbsup]

Cheers !

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
'95 counts as vintage? ;D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my bike back! The CF looks nice but now I need to find some M900 stickers for my side panels. :( I also need to try and restore my rear fender to match the shiny new side panels and fancy new Termignonis that got put on. The Termis are a lot louder than my old pipes (unmarked circular CF pipes as opposed to the oval shape of the Termis). I like! They forgot to bill me for return shipping so I get that for free. ;D They'll send me the new heel guards once they get them and they'll drop off my take-off parts once they get some time at the beginning of next year.

Overall I'd say my experience with them is a bit on/off. If you talk to the right person they tell you everything you need/ want to know and it's a good experience. If you get the wrong person they're generally rather short with you and don't tell you much of anything at all leaving you a bit frustrated and annoyed with them. Not that it really matters, but they're expecting to start officially using the name Santa Barbara Ducati at the begining of the new year or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.