Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new Monster 620 i.e. dark within the next few weeks and wanted to know what others paid for them?

MSRP is $6,595

What did you pay for the bike before taxes?
What did you pay for 'setup fees'?

Thanks!!
-----------------------------------------
One dealer has quoted me:
Bike - $6,193.00
'setup fee' - $391.00
Doc Fees - $78.65

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think if you search the posts you will see people have bought "new" 620s for as low as $5200ish - no set up fees. A new 2004 may be a harder sell plus the season is just starting. To go sub 6 I think you need to catch some dealer incentive programs which you are not likely to do right now. There is not much profit in a 620 to start with.

Set up fees are pure mark up. You don't get anything for that money so most people will not pay it. Not that the price you have is bad by any means.

Check cycletrader.com to see what others are offering. Your local really only needs to be a few hundred off the lowest price you can find since it will cost you to ship a non-local bike. Then check the local clubs in your area for dealer recommendations. Some dealers are happy to sell more bikes and make money on the service/mods where others jack the price sky high and try to make it all on one sale.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm one of those guys that got a last year's model 620 for 5,200. Call Al at http://www.worldbikes.com/wcompetition/
I promise you he'll get you a better deal than anyone else, even with s/h. And he's a great guy.

Have fun.
mike

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think anything changed from the dark '03 to the dark '04 model. The regular '04 model has a 6 speed and a new clutch (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If so, you might get a new '03 pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
From Munroe Motors in SF:

2004 DUCATI Monster 620 Dark - Demo. What we have here is the latest shop unit to cut a few hot laps with some born to be wild rocker dudes here in downtown 'Frisco. The Monster may be a little aggressive for your average moto joe

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$5,695 sounds like a good price. I imagine shipping, etc. will add to that price.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The price you are being offered on an 04 is a good deal. not sure who "jrfuisz" thinks works for free at a dealership, but I have yet to meet that individual :-/ Someone has to be paid to uncrate the bike and go thru the set up on the bike that DNA requires a dealer to do ?? So saying set up fees are "pure mark up" is not true. I think a more important question at this point would be, are you happy with the deal offered and do you intend to have some form of a "relationship" with this dealer ?? If so then there is no better way to start than with the acceptance of a fair deal... good luck

I am looking to buy a new Monster 620 i.e. dark within the next few weeks and wanted to know what others paid for them?

MSRP is $6,595

What did you pay for the bike before taxes?
What did you pay for 'setup fees'?

Thanks!!
-----------------------------------------
One dealer has quoted me:
Bike - $6,193.00
'setup fee' - $391.00
Doc Fees - $78.65

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Eric-

What I've done when buying a new bike is take a little off the stickerprice and tell the dealer, that's what I want to pay out the door. We negotiate from there. Everytime the dealer goes up in price, I meet him halfway and ask for parts, apparel, etc. I bought the 2002 620 two years ago and ended up getting the bike, a helmet, a cover, 3 year extended warranty, taxes, fees, etc for $7,000. Which worked out to getting the bike for about $5,800.

I did the same thing on my S4R. The negotiations got pretty heated and I got up to walk out (don't be afraid to walk out). The dealer stopped me and we settled on $14,000 out the door, which worked out to getting the bike for about $12,300 (sticker is 13,495).

Anyway, sometimes you get schwag, sometimes you get nothing, but at least put up a fight!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am getting better prices using your idea. My best offer so far is $7,200. out the door (using 8.25% sales tax where I live)

Thanks for all the input.

-Eric

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've never paid a mark up or set up fee for a new bike. The dealer's profit is in the MSRP. The "set up" fee you are being asked to pay is to put on the handle bar and check the fluid has no relationship to the work performed. Your 600 service will be cheaper and involved more work.

I would be willing to guess that each franchise is obligated to uncrate the bike and set it up prior to sale (at the MSRP). Duc Sea? Can you sell a bike in the crate under your franchise agreement without ever opening it up? I'm guessing no.

There are a number of consumer protection laws that govern how mark ups can and should be added to a vehicle. Believe it or not these discretionary costs people are asked to pay upset the government especially when they vary from person to person. Clearly auto financing is a big issue right now. Motorcycle "set up" fees are not that far behind. I would not pay one.

Save yourself with $300+ and get the bike in the crate. You still get the full warranty and all you need to do is check the fluid and add the handle bars. Or better yet call a Duc dealer who does not charge a "set up" fee - there are plenty of them - and ship the bike to your door for less.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am down to $7,150.00 out the door with another dealer.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Where do you live?

Keep in mind for around $300 to $350 you can get a bike pallet shipped from a dealer on your same coast. That lets a dealer sell at MSRP and ship to your door for less money than your local "dealer" is asking.

Since some dealers will sell below MSRP (in hopes of making more on Duc add-ons people always buy), you should have tons of options.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd try the Arizona dealers. Or any of the neighboring slower states. I'd even try Ducati of Seattle despite their view of set up fees. They seem to have good prices and do have good follow up which is worth a higher price. Keep in mind the less shipping costs you, the more the closer dealer can charge - compare the cost to your door. All things being equal, I'd take a pallet shipped bike from a good dealer than a local bike from someone with a bad reputation. You can search Duc Sea's efforts to help others whch says something even if we disagree on set up fees.

CA dealers must operate under a different set of rules. Based on everything people post, it is the most expensive state to buy in. Last guy looking for an M620 from LA, bought from NY and still saved a grand. Go figure.

I'd also call the east Coast dealers others have recommended. You can crate ship a new 2004 for $350. You may have to install the handle bars and dispose of the crate, but you could save a fair amount. Not as easy as a pallet ship where you add gas and go, but it is cheaper.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
jrfuisz, thank you for your kind recommendation ! I believe Eric may have called me today, but I missed his call.. sorry Eric. If it was Eric indeed, please give me a call again tomorrow and I would be happy to take some time and chat with you. Our toll free number is 1 877 298-9995.
Dave R
GM/Owner
Ducati Seattle

I'd try the Arizona dealers.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im am in Orange County, CA and after hearing the same b.s. from all my local dealers who tried to tell me there were giving me a "deal" on a 2002 620 I wound up gettting a brand new in the crate 2003 with zero miles for $5200 cash and $250 shipping to my door. All my local dealers were offering the same $7200 on 2002's and 2003's. Im consider myself very lucky however to have been given this deal and I know it is not common. In california you will pay a premiem....thats just how it is here...from bikes to houses...

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So where did you end up getting the 2003 from? I found a place locally that will sell me the 2004 Dark for $6900 out the door.

Good price?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts