Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, this is my first post at this board.

I just wanted to know if $6950 out the door for 2003 620 is an acceptable price. There is also a Dark model for $6450.

Is there anyone sells at a much cheaper price? (I read of Al from Williamsville Competition) Or would I be better off waiting for a 2004 620 that would cost only $700 more.

The thing is that I do not have the cash now and would have to finance it, meaning not much room for haggling...

Thanks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd go with the 2003 dark... but I'm biased. I love mine. I personally don't think it's worth the $700 more to go with the 2004 edition.

·
Registered
211 Posts
forgot to say that the $6900 or what ever it was for the 2003 bike you looked at seems a little steep given the time of year...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I do get one, it will probably be dark...

Currently, at the local shop/dealer it is $6450 out the door, which seems fair to me since I have no idea of where else to get a new one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Actually $6400 isn't a bad price. I'd just bite the bullet and do it if that's all that's around. Buying online you don't know if the frame is tweaked, the engine runs right, etc.. You're totally at the seller's mercy. If the bike you like is in stock and you like it, you should go for it. I was really happy I did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its just that I keep hearing/reading of people buying 02's and 03's (I think) for $5200 or something like that. But I would rather buy from the local place in Tucson. THe guy that owns the place has been selling Italian bikes since the '70s, and I already got to know him a bit. He seems nice and level so maybe I could get a lower price if I jsut ask...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although its not exactly a response to the question, the issue of prices has puzzled me over the last few weeks while cruising this site. I have seen a few threads about prices for new 620's floating around $5k to $6k US. In Aus the price for a new 620 is around $12k Aus dollars on the road.

However with the Aus $ buying around $0.75 US this translates to just short of $9k in US$.

Ducati ownership stateside seems to be a lot cheaper or otherwise my math skills are letting me down!

What's it like in other countries?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Although its not exactly a response to the question, the issue of prices has puzzled me over the last few weeks while cruising this site. I have seen a few threads about prices for new 620's floating around $5k to $6k US. In Aus the price for a new 620 is around $12k Aus dollars on the road.

However with the Aus $ buying around $0.75 US this translates to just short of $9k in US$.

Ducati ownership stateside seems to be a lot cheaper or otherwise my math skills are letting me down!

What's it like in other countries?
I think the majority of things are cheaper stateside. I don't know all the reasons but here are a several:

1. The size of market - the US (or north american) market is huge, so naturally the scale of economy comes into play. Manufactures ship more stuff into the US than any other co.

2. Ultimate capitalism - there is so much competition between brands, and even dealers, it keeps the prices lowers.

3. Believe it or not, but lower tariffs, and lower taxes tacked on.

I have seen this on everything between the US and France - computers, outdoor equipment and clothing, motorcycles, cars. I thought moving to western Europe, BMW's and Porches would be less expensive than in the US, but it is not the case.

mitt

·
Registered
326 Posts
You might make the drive up to Phoenix before you commit.

There are a couple of Ducati dealers here and last time I was in both had 02s and 03s with heavy discounts. Still some wiggle room I am sure.

Phoenix International Motorsprts
http://www.phxmotorsports.com/

Arizona Super Bike - Cycle Moto
http://www.azsbk.com/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot Hi_fi.

Phoenix motorsports say they have new '02 M620's in the Dark version for $5495 and '03 Dark's are $5995. With taxes and whatnot added on, the price will be the same I will pay here in Tucson.

I'll keep my eyes open though, as I probably wont be gettin my monster any time soon :'(

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Other than the price there are differances in the bikes. If Im not mistakten the 04 has the 6 speed trans and the slipper clutch. That in itself maybe worth the extra dough

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a slipper clutch? how is it different from the 2003's wet clutch?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Its still a wet clutch but the slipper clutch allows for easier down shifting with reduced engine braking and less chance of rear wheel hop during quick downshifts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like I said, a 2004 M620 will only cost me $700 more... so I s'pose a 6th gear and better clutch is worth the wait and $ ;D

Thanks for the info ducman!

I really want a Monster!!!!1! I have had enough of my gs500Suzuki's tomfoolery :p

·
Registered
599 Posts
If the 6900 is out the door i'd say that's pretty damn good. If that's what he's saying the bikes MSRP is, then no. But if that is, as you said out the door, taxes and all, that's pretty darn good I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts