Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is this done?

I pulled off the springs, and pulled the pressure plate out, which had a rod attached to it.

I would like to replace the pressure plate with a better looking one with spider spring retainers as well.

any hints???

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
tap out the bearing with the rod attached to it, or get the rod out first. Put the bearing into the new pressure plate. tap the rod back in, put the plate back on. Depending on you willingness to whack things this could take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. I did mine last week and it wasn't bad at all.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Dave.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
remember to line up the new pressure plate correctly, there is a groove on one of the posts in the drum, this corresponds to an arrow or other indication on one of the 6 holes on your new pressure plate.

·
Banned
897 Posts
Get a new bearing while you're at it. Theres a good chance you'll damage the seals taking the old one out, and it's a cheap part.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Actually the rod is supposed to go out through the clutch slave side if you can do it. You should also remove the slave first when working on the pressure plate and reinstall slave as the last operation. This is also a good time to grease up the roller bearings in the clutch hub shaft that support the release rod although you might have to r&r some discs to do that.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for all of the great information!!!

[clap]

Another question I have is that when I re-attach the rod to the plate, how do I keep from pounding on the rod and bending it? I am not afraid of pounding on parts with the universal tool (hammer), unless it says ducati on it. Then I am a pushover and a wimp.

I am afraid of bending that rod.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
tap lightly. that's what I did. I had no idea about the slave side thing, though. Mine's got another 300 miles on it with no problems, but I think I'm gonna put the other two springs that I took out back in.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
beyote said:
Thank you so much for all of the great information!!!

[clap]

Another question I have is that when I re-attach the rod to the plate, how do I keep from pounding on the rod and bending it? I am not afraid of pounding on parts with the universal tool (hammer), unless it says ducati on it. Then I am a pushover and a wimp.

I am afraid of bending that rod.
The reason for removing the clutch slave is so the rod can be knocked out towards that direction. The rod does not "attach" per se to the plate. Rather it fits into a bushing which in turn presses into the release bearing. The rod should be able to spin inside the bushing if possible. There is no call for using a hammer to install the rod but you may need some tools to free the bushing from the pressure plate and then the rod from the bushing. I ended up using a deep socket that would fit over the rod but still would get firm footing on the bushing. I had to use the socket like a slide hammer to remove the bushing from the rod. OK?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
anyplace other than the dealer that I can pick up the bearing that goes in the pressure plate?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Davesax36 said:
anyplace other than the dealer that I can pick up the bearing that goes in the pressure plate?
Around these parts we have bearings shops; they sell bearing, seals, etc. You should be able to see a part number on the edges of the stock bearing. Look in the phone book under "bearings" give them a call and give them the part number. If they don't carry that brand they will be able to cross reference.

I have never had a bearing that a local bearing shop was unable to get. The Norton front wheel takes some odd sized bearings, as I recall...took a couple of days to get them in.

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts