Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys & gals, if you remember my last new topic, i found this.

Doing this.

I finally managed to gather up all the nessecary bits to start reassembly. I started by replacing the pressure plate bolts (all of them). That's when i realized i didn't know what to torque them to. No problem, i'll just hop onto the DML and do a search. I've read 4 pages of results and got anywhere from 4 to 18 ft lbs. So here is what i did:

1- snug screws with fingers
2- use torque wrench to apply just enough pressure to cause clutch to start to rotate (needle at approx 8 ft lbs)

Will this be good enough or do i need to apply silicone to the threads?
I don't want to have another one back out, the engine cover can't take much more whittling.
I just can't help thinking they should be tighter.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I just use my cordless impact to tighten them. If you are unsure use a little green or blue loctite.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DM851,
I think i'll give it a little bit of blue.
Before i button up this side i have one more question. While i was changing the bolts i noticed that i could wiggle the clutch basket a little. Grabbed it with both hands and tried to move it up and down.
Not forcing it, just trying to feel for freeplay.
It moved about 1/16 in. (maybe a little less) top to bottom. Is this normal or should i take a closer look at the shaft and bearings?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
You may want to check them out. I dont remember any lateral play in my 800, but its abit different setup than your 97 750.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Those torque values sound like ones for dry clutches. If you can get your hands on the technical/shop manual for any of the recent wet clutch bikes, they will give you the real scoop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts