Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Battery: Just take it out and keep it in a safe, warm place.
2. Oil/Filter: Change it.
3. Fuel Stabilizer. Add it. 1ounce/2.5 gal.
4. Fogging the cylinders. Take the plugs out and spray the inside with some WD-40.
5. WD-40 the chain.
6. Cover it.
Done.

There was alot of talk about putting batteries on trickle chargers, buying fogging oils, putting the bike on stands, etc. I added it up and came up with over $350. After the purchase of this new M900 I was left with virtually no extra $ to spend, so I asked my dealer and he said you can do 1-6 above and it'll be more than adequate.
btw-I was shocked that a Ducati filter cost $10.95. And $15/liter for Motul 15-50? That's insane.
Anyhow, if anyone has other low-cost alternatives/advice for winter storage, let us know, but I trust my dealer and think he had good advice.
Tarik

G

·
I prepped mine for winter the other day.

I went outside with a cup of coffee, turned the car wash bucket upside down left to my monster and we looked at the bare trees for awhile from its garage vantage point.

We talked about the nice fall ride up to No. GA we took. And the nice ride towards Toccoa. I mentioned how I really enjoyed our time together and I was planning on bolting on some new parts. We plan on doing a chain oiling together soon and maybe a oil change but I had to break the news. "Its not you, its me" I said. I had to explain it is just a tad chilly lately to ride much. I explained how when the leaves fall it gets cold and darker earlier. Crazy drivers get crazier and it tends to rain a bit more often.

After some tears we hugged and my monster understood. I think it went well. I did have to promise a good washing and a ride up to the lake on the first warm day.

I think our next talk we will cover the birds & the bees. My duc needs a another 2 wheeler in the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Not to gloat too much, but in FL the winter preps are mainly adjusting the air pressure in the tires for the slightly lower temps.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Was gonna do that, but instead I took it out for about a 10 minute ride this afternoon... I live in Jersey and it was about 38 degrees today. Fired right up, too...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
My prep for the winter is.... plug in the electric heat and ride!

I refuse to give in to winter!!!
I use a big salamander heater to heat up the garage , so my Monster will start with ease.
And she told me, that she didn't want to spend all winter sitting in the garage. She said she just didn't want to ride in the snow...rain was okay, but no snow.So I said okay, no matter the temp, we are riding!!!

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Right on. According to the wind chill calculator, it felt to me like it was -19 F two weeks ago when I rode to work. Didn't have electric clothing yet, either. The only fear I have is black ice. Well, I don't like snakes so much either, but that's not the point here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I can take the cold, but my headers and fastener heads apparently don't like salt. I rode today, since we had some good rains wash away the first salting of the season. But I think that'll do it for the year; the next rains will probably be sleet, and the salt trucks will be getting regular exercise.

I plan on putting it in a shed, topping off the battery two or three times, and firing it up occasionally. If I had stands, I'd unweight the tires, but I don't so I won't. The chain is due for replacement next spring, so screw it- I'll spray lube on it this weekend and be done.

Is WD-40 the best thing you want in the cylinders? It's lighter than engine oil, so it will actually rinse existing oil off the walls.
Rene Carlos

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
SapperD, get that electric heat, it is unbelievable. You will love it! and the black ice is something you need to look out for, just take it easy on your cold day rides.

I was riding home the other night from work, in the rain, had to cross over one of those tar snakes when changing lanes and I felt the back tire start to slip, lucky the snake wasn't real wide and the tire caught the pavement again before any misfortune!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts