Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my PC II from K&N for my '00 900ie. Why did I get it? Strati-mod pipes and open airbox... and it was on sale for $145 bucks. I ordered specifically for my bike, so I figured they would install the correct base map.

In a blur of cardboard and styrofoam, I unpacked it and slapped it on, fired her up and headed up the road. Didn't get more than 1/4 mile and the hesitation started, and soon I was riding a bucking bronco... turned right around and reconnected the stock ecu... back to normal.

Well, it seems I got the 900SS maps instead of the M900 maps, so that explains that. However, when I try to download the correct maps from powercommander.com, the Powercom software doesn't like them, giving me an "Access violation at address blah blah blah..." error. Are these maps for the Powercommander III? Are they interchangeable?

Any insight would be appreciated....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me answer my own question...

The version of the Power Commander software that shipped with mine was waaaaaay behind. I upgraded to the latest version on the powercommander.com website and it can now read the map files for the '00 M900.

I'll try downloading the map for my bike (open air box, mod. pipes) tomorrow and post the results if anyone is interested.

One other issue, though... where have others placed the extra connector in the tight space between the ecu and the battery? Not much room to work with there... I'm concerned about crushing the connector between the battery and the tank.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Why not just send your ECU over to Bruce at BCM and let him flashload a new map rather than add a PcII. Its far simpler unless you like messing around with stuff.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that, but I do kinda like messing around with things. And if I change components around I'd like to be able to change the map right away rather than sending it out somewhere each time.

Anyway, when I ran with the "correct" map I still had hesitation problems. There is a distinct "popping" on deceleration, and rolling on the throttle causes multiple hesitations.

Any Power Commander experts out there?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Did you do the "Set Throttle Position" routine?

My S4 with a PC III was noticeably happier after I did it.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Are you sure you have a PC II, not a PC III ?

If you plug your PC II into your computer, and have the PC II powered up either with the bike ignition on or the 9V battery adapter, The upper left area of the computer screen should show
%throttle.
With your throttle closed, it should say 0%, and with your throttle wide open, it should say 100%.

The PC III has a "Set Throttle Position" procedure in the Utilities menu.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definately have a PC II, not III. I'm using the latest version of the software, though. I'm all screwed up... the PC II has four tables... absolute air pressure, throttle position, manifold pressure, and ignition timing.

When I load the map for my bike (right off the cd or off the site,) all I see is a fuel table... none of the other four. Likewise, I only see an 'Upload Map' button on the right, not the 'Upload All' that I should see.

I even reinstalled the old version of the software, but when I load maps I still only see the fuel table. What am I missing here?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
I assumed that the PC II was just an earlier version of the PC III, but still with the same tables and general methods of operation.

I looked at the User Manual on their website, and it's quite different.

Sorry, my mistake. :-[

This may help:
http://www.powercommander.com/man_toc.shtml
Maybe you can E-Mail them or call on Monday?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Nick. I do see the 'Set Throttle Position' option in the newer release of the software... not sure if it applies to the PCII, though. I tried it but it didn't seem to have an effect.

From what I gather it seems that both the PCII and III can use the same management software. It doesn't really matter in my case, since I tried both and in each case my Mostro was transformed into a bucking bronco.

I went all through the docs and couldn't really come up with an answer, so I shot an email to K&N and to the Powercommander people.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Keep us posted on how it goes.

Someone on the list is bound to have a PC II, and may be able to help with some "BTDT".

·
Registered
62 Posts
I got my PCII from K&N also. It was for a 00 900 Monster but I have a 01. I sent it back to Powercommander and they upgraded it to a PCIII for free. I tried running the stock map, it ran pretty good but had a couple of flat spots. I then tried the map for open air box and K&N filter, seems my DP filter does not flow as free and the bike was running too rich. So to make a long story short, I'm headed this week to get a custom map. Let me know how your bike runs when you get everything set.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks for the info. Not a bad deal. You sent it back to K&N or to PowerCommander?

Interesting about the stock map, too. Shouldn't the stock map run the same as the stock ECU?

A question, though... when you loaded the custom map before downloading to the PCIII, did you see four different tables, or just one? For some reason I'm only seeing a fuel table, but I think I should be seeing more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Mange (we call Magnus that here in sweden..)

I bought my PC2 also from the K&N blowout sale and I had the exact same problems.
It is not possible for you to fix this yourself, you need to send the PC2 back to either K&N or to Dynojet to get a new firmware uppgrade of the unit itself. The problem is in the firmware and it is actually a misslabeld PC3 and not a PC2. That is why you have this problem, you have the PC2 firmware in a PC3!.
That is also the reason you get only the fueltable in the commandcenter, and that is why you can make the throttle position setting.

After I sent it back to Dynojet (here in europe) and got it back with the newer firmware it runs perfect without the popping and hesitations.

You should also try the "user submitted maps" in the Dynojet site from Fast by Ferraci. They worked much better on my monster than the maps from Dynojet. I have open highpipes and a Pipercross filter with an cut open airboxlid on my Monster 900 i.e

Good luck with the PC3!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ciao Kurben,
great stuff that is running open pipes, and do your own mods and not to be too worried about the "road side inspections" of the officials.
Here in Italy it is started to be too damn hard and anno

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ciao Skier.

It is not a problem yet but it can soon be.. In the Swedish Ducati Club we have a fund for loud pipes! Everyone that is a member of the fund pays 0,8 euro every year and if you get caught in a inspection, the fees will be paid by the fund. The price is very low to be a member of the fund and the reason for this is that nobody never gets tickets for it! ;D The police here does not care if it is too loud, sometimes they even congratulate you for the "nice" sound when they stop you.. :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh

rub it in .....

Well , I will miss Sweden this month, because I am planning to take ship from Rostock to Helsinki, and head out to Rovaniemi to pass the Bright Red Christmas Gift list to Santa.

If my trip goes well, and fast, I will stop by somewhere in Sweden..... just to get more envy.....

Good stuff !

Skier with tiny little holes in the cans ....

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Kurben! Right on the money, brother! That's why I love this board.

Call DynoJet and I now have an RMA and will send it back. Interestingly, Dynojet doesn't even sell a PCII for the '00 Monster 900 anymore... not for last two years. That explains the blowout sale by K&N, I suppose.

I'll post an update once I get a replacement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
MagnusVer: Great, I promise the bike will work very good after the firmware upgrade. The response and the lowend power will certainly improve when you get it back and load it with a map corresponding with your setup. But a wise thing to do is to make a CO2 check afterwards just be sure you are not way of. Also remember that you need to set the throttle position every time that you have had the bike for service in the future. When the serviceshop makes the synchronization of the throttles it will affect the PC3 also.

Skier: In Finland it is also still legal to use open exhaust.. As long as the decibel is under 103 decibel as in Sweden.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Skier: In Finland it is also still legal to use open exhaust.. As long as the decibel is under 103 decibel as in Sweden.
Grande !

I have to start drilling more of them holes to my originals ....

Skier

1 - 20 of 34 Posts