Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm new to this joint and new to Ducatisti, but already loving my Monster..I've got a '99 900 and want to powdercoat the wheels--but realize the cush drive dampers won't come out of the wheel. I don't want to destroy them because it would cost me $120 to replace all of them..Anybody have any experience with this problem? I know I'm not the only one in the world that has wanted to powdercoat the Brembo wheel--standard on Monsters and Supersports for years..Am I going to have to bite the bullet and shell out the shillings for new dampers? Thanks --CZ

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Disclaimer- I am not mechanical.

but, i think that that only thing that needs replaced when P/C wheels is the bearings.
(somebody smarter will be along shortly with the real answer)

ps my bike is completely apart with everything BUT the wheels getting powdercoated :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man...The bearings, yes...The cush drive dampers are pressed in---I tried to beat them out from the other side, to no avail. They have to come out because they are composed of rubber which will melt in the powdercoaters 400 degree oven...I've almost given up...May just settle for the ugly gray/silver..

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had the same problem and was told by another Ducati owner that you can leave them in, I did and they came though just fine. That was over 2 years ago. It's pretty much impossible to remove them without destroying them, so you may as well leave them in and see how they come out.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I bought a spare wheel that was already powdercoated. It has what looks like original cush rubbers in it and they look good and resilient.

You may consider having the bead area masked on the inside of the rim to keep the powder coating off that area. Mine gave me a LOT of trouble getting the bead to seat completely when I mounted a tire on it. I kind of suspect the extra thickness of the powder coating inside the rim has something to do with that by increasing the diameter of the bead seat by a few hundredths.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks man...The bearings, yes...The cush drive dampers are pressed in---I tried to beat them out from the other side, to no avail. They have to come out because they are composed of rubber which will melt in the powdercoaters 400 degree oven...I've almost given up...May just settle for the ugly gray/silver..
i did some powdercoating myself for some time. the grease in the bearings WILL boil out, but your cush dampers will survive no problemo. instruct your powdercoater to tape over them so they don't get coated and that's all you need to worry about.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've hed quite a few wheels powder coated as well as painted & am equally happy with both methods, why not just paint them with a good uerothane? If you insist on powdercoating, just pop the bearings out, & pop them back in when you're done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This site rocks...I love the internet...Thanks a ton for all the help, guys..I knew there were more people out there with these wheels that hated the gray/silver color..I'll just pop out the bearings and mask the inner rim and dampers...Thanks again..CZ

·
Registered
584 Posts
I popped my cush drives out from the backside with a big-arse screwdriver and dead-blow hammer. Worked fine for me. Or just tape over them. Learning experience, make sure to tape over the hub area and screw holes for the discs. That tiny amount of PC thickness will really screw you on reinstall. Don't ask how I know ...
Dion

·
Registered
588 Posts
I Painted mine white with a 2K Polyurethane, then overcoated with a 2K Polyurethane Teflon Impregnated clear. Looks every bit as good as powdercoating & the colours available are limitless. (unlike Powdercoating)

The good thing is that chain grease, Brake dust & road grime, simply wipe off with a cloth. No elbow grease required!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I popped mine out and replaced with new, and gonna put them on ebay real soon, Rims are powder coated red and they came off a 93 750SS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Powdercoated mine, pulled and replaced the bearings while i had wheels off just because. Did you know you can match the wheel bearings at any auto parts store!
No prob with leaving the dampers in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts