Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm tired of looking at the obnoxiously yellow stock coil spring on my 2002 750 dark. the back of my bike is very open (no fender, no side panels, chopped tail, low pipes) and the spring is just too exposed.

i would prefer a black or silver coil spring to go with the look of the bike. what are my options? are there black/silver aftermarket springs for the stock Sachs suspension? powdercoating? does anyone have an idea about cost?

above all, how much work/trouble is it to replace the coil spring?

S

·
0 Posts
removing the spring from the shock isn't too difficult _IF_ you can compress the spring while dissassembling the shock because is _IS_ under load while static.
powdercoated paint does have a degree of elasticity to it so i'm sure it would be fine on the spring itself (anybody know if the standard finish is powdercoated?). as to stripping the spring, the difficulty depends on what the finish actually is. regular paint's not too hard to get off. powdercoated paint's a b!tch. you'd also want to be sure that the spring's "springiness" won't be effected at all by the 400 degrees (F) required to cure powder. finally, you'll want to be sure you can recompress the spring to reassemble the shock...
probably a good idea to get a hold of a spare to experiment with.
if you go for it, you can send me the spring for the actual powdering. i'll do it for free (for the sake of experimentation) if you send it stripped of it's current finish.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... you can always go with a penske shock. they come black =)

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Yoyodyne has titanium springs. Expensive, but less than a Penske...

--Fillmore

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Spring is fine with 400 degrees F. Won't hurt it a bit.

I guy I used to work with found a liquid paint stripper that would remove powdercoat........yes, he's still alive and hasn't grown a third eye or anything.
I can find out the brand if you want to know.

I'm not really very impressed with the yellow spring on my red S4, either.

Kinda funny, my buddy has a yellow Triump# T595 with a red spring. ;D

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
speeddog,
is yours red or a senna?
i saw a senna w/ a matching red spring that really looked good (imho) not sure what it was (sachs, ohlins?) but the match was perfect w/ the wheels

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
mdozier,

My S4 is the standard red, silver/gray frame & wheels.
I checked my parts manual, and the shock is shown as a single part, no seperate spring. Thought for a second that maybe I could order a "senna" spring.

That's not particularly clear thinking on my part....considering recent history of DNA parts delivery speed.

If I convince myself that I need red wheels, I'll probably get the spring powdercoated at the same time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
strati, thanks for offering to powdercoat the spring.... as i suspected, this mod will require quite a bit of time and effort. i think i may just have to live with the yellow spring until winter.

S

·
0 Posts
no worries dude...
if you make it a winter project, drop me a line and i'll help you out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i finally took care of the yellow eye sore. i replaced the stock unit with a s4 adjustable shock and powdercoated the spring satin black. also put in a jhp ride height adjuster.

the handling is definitely better and it looks so much nicer.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
JHP ride height adjuster?? Whered ya get that? How much more seatheight do you think is avaliable using one of these without messing up the handling or shock travel too much. Thanks for any info..... im looking to increase seat height on my little monster.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the back is up 1 1/2 inches right now, which makes quite a difference. i'm 6' and the bike always felt too low for me, especially with the lower seat of the dark version.

the jhp ride height adjuster is kinda pricey. yoyodyne sells this unit for $245. http://www.yoyodyneti.com/detail.aspx?ID=1515 if you want to go the cheap route you could just get a 996 style height adjuster on ebay (they sell for about 70 bucks). it should fit all monsters, but it doesn't give you the range of adjustibility you get with the jhp. there's also a tpo unit i've seen for $160.

·
Registered
455 Posts
How do you think the JHP unit compares to the tie rod from TPO?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
don't know much about the tpo unit. i liked the fact that the adjustment nut on the jhp is "easily" accessible in the center of the rod.

S

·
0 Posts
i'll tell you guys honestly that i think for most riders, getting your hands on the tie-rod from a 748/9*6 would do well enough. they're not the exactly perfect length, but they're adjustable and suitable for current monsters i think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts