Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of having a few parts powder coated this winter.

I'm wondering what to expect, price-wise. I want to get both rearsets (stock) and the clutch pressure plate done. I'm wondering about the pressure plate especially, since if it costs as much to get it powdercoated as a new aftermarket plate, i'l just do that.

Also, has anyone thought about or done their brake calipers? I've seen that hi-temp 'brake caliper paint' but have no idea how well it works/sticks.

Thanks,

dj

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
Im in the process of doing the same parts.
I'll let you go how mine goes...and my powdercoater is going to make up a price list for different parts

i want to have the calipers done too...but dont know if powdercoating gets too hot for the rubber bits

G

·
If they are both going in the oven together, and are the same color, it shouldn't be more than $30-$40. Really not as expensive as people think.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have had many parts coated over the years. I even had all the sheet metal on a cruiser coated with crazy custom powder coat. My place charged a $50 min and then just kinda goes by prep time and size from there. The stuff you are talking about would cost me about $65-$70 total. As for brake calipers, you would have to dissasemble it and only the metal parts can get coated. It gets up over 450f in the oven.
By the way I have big powder coat plans for my monster.
On another motorcycle board they kinda think of me as the poster child for powder coating. I think it is an inexpensive, durable way to go. Much better than paint for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Powdercoating is pretty cheap if you stick to the colors they have in stock - usually black, red, silver.

When you ask for custom colors they start to hit you with the "mininum charge" fees.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the replies! This is sounding like a good route for me to go, as funds are getting scarce. Just placed an order with Chris today for about $260 bones, and dropped about $70 yesterday on new brake pads. And I still gotta figure out where to get some cash for the new clutch basket and plates. ;)

I originally planned to go for a black/red look, but my wife last night mentioned that black with a touch of yellow might look better considering some of the yellow/gold tint to some of the stock parts.

I'm thinking that the rearsets in black would really look nice and lighten up the their 'heavy' look. The Clutch plate and rotors I think I might go with a nice yellow. Hmm... so much to do still be fore it warms up. ;D

-dj

G

·
well, if you want, you can buy my stock rear sets off me for $100, and paint them black. see hwo they turn out. Heck if you like them, go the powdercoat route, if not, u still have a stokc set.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right on DTM! That's what I was looking for.

I think that having those black really lightens up (visually) the rear of the bike, especially with low pipes.

I'm planning on cutting the clutch cover myself (leaving it silver) and doing the pressure plate black as well.

-dj

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sounds good! I am going to do the swingarm black, the plates on the end of the swingarm yellow. The bars will be yellow and I am going to try and dissasemble the forks and coat the fork tubes yellow. I have never seen yellow forks so I think it will really stand out. I also have a new tank on the way that I plan on powdercoating black. The one on there now has rust in it.

G

·
I just had my frame, swingarm, linkage fork, rear caliper mount, and headlight bucket powdercoated and it was $160. It would have been higher but I did the sand blasting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts