Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 S2R1k

I want to powdercoat my SSS. How hard is it to take off? Any concerns, problems or issues you guys have run into while trying to take it apart or put it back on? What about the alignment of the rear tire... easy or hard?

What tools will i need? I have a basic tool set. But i can buy whatever is needed to take this beast on... :)

What lubrication (if any) will be needed when i put it back together?

Just trying to get a feel for how much of a pain this project is going to be.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
33 Posts
Are you powder coating this yourself? They self kits at Sears, in the Craftsman department.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
If you are mechanically minded it should be no problem. Do you own any maintenance manuals? If not you should think about getting one or more. They are helpful and detail doing exactly what you are doing.

It really is easy to remove. The hardest part will be getting the bearings out, but if you have the right tool, that is a snap. If you have an specific questions let us know, I'm sure we can help.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I wonder how durable the powder is that is being provided in that Craftsman kit. Is it really worth it to do it yourself instead of taking it to a shop? Does anyone have any experience with this product?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am doing it myself. i do not own the powder coating gun yet. But i manage a plant where we do other types of machining and casting of metals. So we have all the tools (including a HUGE oven and paint booth). I have looked into getting a gun, and think i have found a decent one. the powder i will buy from a professional shop. Not cheap, but worth it.

As far as having the manuals and being mechanically minded, i think i can figure it out. I will definitely pick up a manual and i know that the bearings are a problem. I spent many years building high-end mountain bikes (ellsworths) and dealt with bearings all the time with those... My main concern was actually getting the tire back on straight with the chain tension set properly. I havent looked at how it works but i have a SSS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts