Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This board is certainly going to cause me to spend too much on my bike but so be it. Does anyone have a pic of a monster that EVERY thing was powdercoated 1 color ie A dark with the valve covers, block, etc black as well? Thanks in advance. s4Strati- our posts today made me think of this.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
careful here... stock beltcovers are made of plastic which can't be powdercoated. not only does plastic not like the 400 degrees required to bring on "flow-out" (1st stage of curing), but it doesn't conduct electricity. powder first adheres to a part by an electro-static attraction.
that said, it would be interesting to see if any bikes have been totally blasted with one color whether it be via powder, paint, or anodizing.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
correct. My fault for the vague post, I know the plastic would be painted but I was more concerned with the P I T A aspect of powder coating so that is where my mind was.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dunno what you mean. i don't think powdercoating's much more a pain than conventional painting. there's a bit more prepwork involved, but application/curing/finishing is definately easier. just spray on and bake. no priming, no sanding, multiple coats are not necessary...
PREPWORK is a b!tch but you can't have it all easy i guess...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In terms of the baking part. My wife would kill me if i put bike parts in her new oven. lol Have you seen a monotone bike. I can imagine it but woud wanna see it before i undertake in the work. I would have to wait till its gets too cold to rid as to not waste any precious riding days, but if I make up my mind, I know it will get done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In terms of the baking part. My wife would kill me if i put bike parts in her new oven. lol Have you seen a monotone bike. I can imagine it but woud wanna see it before i undertake in the work. I would have to wait till its gets too cold to rid as to not waste any precious riding days, but if I make up my mind, I know it will get done.
I'm not sure if you're actually considering this... but DO NOT put powder coated bits in your home oven that you use for cooking.

I'm working my way towards a mostly black bike. gloss black wheels... fairly flat black swing arm.. gloss black tank... engine and frame are still grey, but I'm painting the frame this winter. I'm thinking I will paint everything black except for the engine. it might look stupid. it might look like a grey engine buzzing down the road at night, but who cares... if it turns out like ass, I'll repaint some bits I guess.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually would have somone else to the coating sisnce I have no access to the thing's I'd need living in NYC. But I was thinking my engine too. I was trying to find a bike that haad a black engine and cannot find a picture. All this from just wanting to color my frame red......

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
both MonsterJ (nunez) and Rev_Deadpan (fillmore) p/c'ed their engine side and valve covers
they look nice
i dont think you could do the block, you'd have to paint that.
i hear harley sells a good engine paint (really)

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
just my goofy friends.
nice monsters, though.
fillmore won best monster at laguna seca last year, and nunez won best monster and best overall this year.

I'm winning next year goddammit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm winning next year goddammit. ;D
Hmmm, interesting... I was planning on winning. I guess we have a slight conflict here, eh?! ;) jk My bike doesn't even move right now :)

for those of you thinking about painting your engine... try some Por-15. I've used almost all their products at this point for various things, everything from engine paint (iron blocks), to aluminum, to clearcoats, to under carriage paint, etc. Their stuff RULES! It's not quite as tough as a good powder coating, but for paint it is top notch. And for things that get hot, like the engine, it will hold up better than powder coating :) You can apply it with a brush or spray it on. Even when using a brush, it doesn't tend to leave streaks like you would think. A bunch of coats sprayed on is best though. Anywho, just thought I'd mention it.

"No colors anymore, I want them to turn black..." -the stones

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the links. Pretty cool...... something to think about. Am am imagining the entire thing black, from block to screws. I think it would be pretty Bad-A$$.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would be carefull powder coating the entire engine black. I don't think the powder coating will readily release heat the way engine paint will, which is pretty critical to an aircooled Monster. When I put the 900 motor in my bike I repainted the cases, jugs, and heads. I used Hardley-Davidson engine paint that was recommend to me by a friend. It worked extremely well. (although I almost want to hang myself for having a H-D product on my bike) Another thing to take into consideration about anodizing stuff black.. is it will fade eventually and turn a red-brown color.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if it can take engine heat, i don't think brake caliper heat would be a problem. you could powdercoat the calipers but i'd rather not purposely subject a critical brake component to 400 degrees F.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
(slightly OT)
anybody try painting their calipers and M/C's with this kinda stuff?
i want them black instead of gold...

Upgrade to coffins ;D

(mine specifically, I'll consider your golds with remote reservoirs an equal trade, but only for you...)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts